This is a helluva newsgroup

I am about to declare that this newsgroup has the highest signal to noise ratio of any ng I have ever encountered.

Are we moderated or just lucky?

Folks are civil, smart, talented, and ideas get exchanged, a helluva lot of problems are solved, and we all seem to have a good time here. Very little bullshit and aggravation.

Are the other auto newsgroups like this or is it just a Jeep thing?

Reply to
<Skip>

Probably a "Jeep Thing". I'm active on the WillysTech list. Hands down the best mailing list I've ever been on.

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

I think the Jeep thing results in a relatively good bunch of folks here. I also sometimes participate in a Toyota one where there is a lot of acrimony, so I know what you mean. There also is alt.jeep-l which has less traffic. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Nah, it's only because they netcopped Lloyd Parker off usenet a couple months ago. Man what a difference.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

No BS on alt.smokers.cigars either.

I think it is the people in the groups being relentless about the OT noise.

Reply to
Jason

You have a very good point there Jason, I believe it is that too.

On OT or commercial noise, I usually send a friendly email heads up about this group having a Charter and normally get back decent responses and apologies.

The ones that don't respond nice get slammed and some of the threads can get, well... 'interesting' but still. Run them out and maybe have a decent group.

Most ISP's these days take spam and newsgroup Charters seriously so enough complaints and things can happen...

We all have our off days though... ;-)

The Charter is locate here:

ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/rec/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

And a quote:

RATIONALE: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The discussion of Jeep 4 wheel drive vehicles began on the offroad mailing list as well as on the Usenet group rec.autos.4x4. As the offroad mailing list grew in size, the Jeep-L listserver was set up to discuss topics specifically to Jeep and Willys vehicles.

At this time there are more that 50 articles sent to the Jeep listserver, as well as > 50 articles being sent on the offroad server daily. The volume on the usenet group rec.autos.4x4 exceeds 125 articles daily.

It has been suggested that a new Usenet group be created to take the load off of the listservers as well as limit the articles in the rec.autos.4x4 newsgroup.

CHARTER: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The unmoderated newsgroup rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys is to be used for discussions, announcements, expression of opinions, and questions about Jeep (Trade Mark) and Willys vehicles. It also serves as a medium for those interested in sharing and exchanging their experience. It is also meant to be a forum for buying and selling parts by non-commercial vendors.

Some things that could be discussed....

-Jeep/Willys history -repairs and modifications -parts exchange -technical information -4x4 driving experiences -vehicle restoration -new vehicle evaluations

Some things that shouldn't be discussed....

-4 wheel drive vehicles made by other manufacturers -commercial posts

The articles sent to the Jeep listserver will be cross-posted to Usenet but not vise versa.

END CHARTER.

End quote.

Mike

Mike Romain