Wheel bearings

I have a 99 Merc Mountaineer (Ford Explorer). The truck has 42k miles. It was making a loud humming front end noise, which was the result of a bad front wheel bearing and the other front bearing going bad. I had them replaced and the problem is solved, although an $800 job.

It seems to me that this type of repair is very unusal for a 5 yr old truck, low miles, and well cared for.

Should I be persuing reimbursement from Ford? I know the warranty is out, but is this an uncalled for repair maybe the result of crappy parts?

If I should attempt reimbursement, what evidence would be needed, and what is the best approach? I do not have the old bearing assemblies.

Reply to
tyop

Holy Crap, BATMAN... $800.00 for WHEEL BEARINGS !! ???

I hope you backed in .

Even if you COULD get Ford to re-imburse you for repairs, I'm sure they wouldn't pay for the Gianni Versace bearings that you got.

Reply to
chief_wiggum

The Ford dealer wanted $860 for the same repair, and another reapir shop next door was $840. Each bearing is about $300 for the part.

So apparently you better think again, but "Holy Crap" was also my reaction!

Reply to
tyop

Well, Again unless they are getting the bearings from Versace I don't know how they can charge that much for them .. Theyr'e around $20.00 from FORD, and probably $8.00 to 10.00 from a parts shop.

Now, if we are talking a 4wd / Awd truck they *might* have replaced the entire axle shafts which could approach what you have paid. ..

Something sounds fishy though...

Reply to
chief_wiggum

Reply to
tyop

First, that $800 figure seems high; if we knew what was actually done ("replacing the front bearings" can run from simply replacing the bearings themselves to a LOT of work on the front suspension/driveline), that would help.

As for whether or not they should have gone out, the answer is, a definite maybe. Your truck is obviously well out of the warranty period. Bearings are obviously wear items. "Low miles, and well cared for" is extremely subjective. On what theory would you attempt reimbursement? Not having the old parts will usually knock any such attempt out of the ballpark right off the bat; there's no way for anyone to determine why they failed (or, when you get right down to it, even *if* they failed.) I would think you'd need something along the lines of a well documented pattern of failure of these parts in order to even start to get Ford interested. I haven't seen much evidence of such a pattern here. Good luck, though!

Reply to
Bill Funk

"chief_wiggum" wrotenews:cqcgc.11859$dZ1.2843@fed1read04:

Are those the gold plated bearings Paris Hilton uses?

I don't have the heart or inclination to tell that silly bitch, and others who pay $800 for bearings, that gold is not a heavy metal with high tensile strength. Nor is Clinton-autographed bearings and first edition Al Franken Bearings any better than normal bearing, and usually much worse; they wear out fast, they make squealing noises all the time and they rub everything around them the wrong way.

Reply to
Angel of the Night