03 Windstar: how to disable autolock?

I just bought an 03 windstar with keypad on the driver door. I am attempting to disable the autolock feature on the door locks. I have followed the manual instructions repeatedly with no success.
-Ignition switch to off position -enter passcode on key pad -press 3-4 button and hold -press 7-8 button and hold -release 3-4 button while still holding 7-8 -release 7-8 horn should chirp once to verify.
This procedure doesn't work and I'd like to know what I'm missing here.
--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft

Well I copied the following from the Owner's Guide PDF. It looks almost the same as yours except it says to close all doos. I would also suggest you use the permanent code (not a persoanl code you entered).
To deactivate/reactivate the autolock feature using the keypad
Your vehicle comes with the autolock feature activated. To deactivate/reactivate this feature: 1. Turn the ignition to the OFF position. 2. Close all the doors. 3. Enter the 5-digit entry code. 4. Press and hold the 3 . 4. While holding the 3 . 4 press the 7 . 8. 5. Release the 3 . 4. 6. Release the 7 . 8. The horn will chirp once when the system has been successfully deactivated. The horn will chirp twice (one short and one long chirp) when the system has been successfully reactivated.
If this doesn't work, then you will have to see the dealer. Is the vehicle still under warranty? If the procedure doesn't work, it seems like a warranty problme to me.
Ed