1988 Grand Marquis Fixed - Big Thank You

I posted about this car on this newsgroup in November and received lots of advice, but things here started to get very confusing and quite a bit negative. So, I decided to try to work with one reasonable person to work
through it. I wanted to let this group know that the car is now running beautifully, as it always did.
For the sake of others, I wanted to let you know the problem. First of all, the ignition switch was the originator of the confusion. Parts of it were bad, causing some the downflow of current to stop. Once that was taken care, I went through the entire fuse box to find out that there were a few incorrect fuses in there (previous owner) and one that was essential to the fuel system function. Okay so now I have juice and the correct amount, so that nothing gets overloaded. Next step was the relays. Keep in mind that they were both brand new from Autozone, they picked them based on the car. The ECA relay was defective. It clicked, but the gate did not close all the way, causing the electrical current to stop there. Hence the fuel pump relay never got any current to close it's circuit. I purchased a new one at the Ford dealership and put it on, only to find out that the fuel pump relay was not the right one. It was manufactured to send current in the opposite direction, so I found out. Went back to Ford and got another relay, it turned over just fine.
So, the problems were: bad ignition switch 3 amp fuse where a 10 ampere should have been partially frozen ECA relay incorrect fuel pump relay
I want to thank BeeVee. He has worked with me every day since I stopped posting here, which is a lot of days. He had faith in my ability to fix it, when I had none; and he never belittled or lost his cool with me. I wanted to publicly let him know that I appreciate all his effort. To focus in and find that combination of problems took a lot of hard work, calmness, patience, and persistence.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP BeeVee Take Care, Sharon

Sharon wrote:

As a person with a lot of experience having instructed my 5 sons(I also have 4 daughters),I really appreciate what BeeVee has done for Sharon.It fills my heart with joy to know that there are fine,kind and generous persons like BeeVee.If I lived next door to him ,I'd give him a big hug.His effort was exceptional and his application of "mechanical common sense" to finally fix the car is among the few stories I will pass on.Those who fully and completely understand this on-going challenge probably felt the same feeling you both experienced at the moment of success.MY HIGHEST CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH!!

Was the 3 amp fuse blown?

You did say you had 12 volts on the fuel pump relay primary circuit.

Congratulations!!
I'm glad you got it.
PoD
Ford did have a recall to replace the ignition switch. Did you have to pay for the new switch?
Stan

Yes Stan, because I am not sure what the previous owners had done under any recalls. It just feels so darn good to be driving this wonderful car again. Some little added devices that did not work before are now working. The automatic lights, for instance. They now come off and go on based on darkness. They have not done that since I bought the car. I am telling you, BeeVee is right at the top of my gratitude list for the holidays. I love this car, and now that he has helped me to get it operating so well, I love it even more. I drove around all day today saying "God, I love this car, thanks" I am a very happy camper! Take Care, Sharon
They are nice cars and it was a nice surprise to hear that you got it fixed. Stan
wrote in message

For anyone not knowing what the previous owners did to a vehicle concerning a recall you can always call Ford Motor Company, give then the V.I.N. number to your car and they will inform you if the recalled item was fixed or not.....If not, you can still take it in and get it fixed at no charge.