1994 Ford F150 14 Bolt Automatic Transmission Filter Change

I have the above pick-up and dropped the transmission pan gasket to change the filter and fluid (transmission was slipping a little). Seems to have gone OK except I found a small plastic "plunger" in the
bottom of the pan. The manual doesn't mention anything about it, and I'm a little worried. It's made of green plastic, and kind of looks like a little child's toy top, with an o-ring near the fat part of the top, and the fat part hollowed out from the large end. __ !! !! !! ---- ! ! <- O-ring here ! ! \____/ <- Hollow from the bottom up Other than this phantom piece in the bottom, everything looked pretty good (no metal shavings attached to the magnet in the pan, just a fair amount of dirt around the magnet).
Does anyone have any idea where this might go in the transmission? Also, any thoughts on re-using the rubber gasket that was originally in there vs the crummy cork one that came with the transmission filter?
Throw it away (the plunger), and keep on keepin' on.
It'll surprise me if a fluid change fixes your slipping problems, though.
That's a question for TransSurgeon.
Spdloader

"Bill Kohlmetz" wrote

Sounds like the temporary plug the factory uses. It goes in the dipstick hole, fluid goes into tranny, tranny goes into vehicle, and when the dipstick tube is installed into the hole, the plug is pushed into the pan.
ah...............the Ford Mystery Part
it's a plug to keep the fluid in the unit during shipping (they are filled at the assembly plant), when the dipstick tube is inserted it pushes the 'FMP' into the pan..........there's also a rubber 'ring' around the driveshaft that gets pushed forward when the yoke is installed on 2WD's

Bill Kohlmetz opined in

The replies from the other guys make sense..
As to the slipping, make sure you have a good size tranny cooler... is it only when tran fluid is hot?
Before replacing it, try the Lucas AT fix product.
I dont believe in additives but that one works in some slippage solutions and I can vouch for it, a lot of other guys do, too. accept NO substitutes!

Yup, Lucas is the only "snake oil" I've actually seen work as advertised.