1996 ESCORT 1.9 WON'T START--NO SPARK, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, COOLING FAN RUNS...

Car was parked last fall, ran great then. Went to start it today, cranks great, no spark. Disconnected a plug wire, inserted a plug, grounded the plug on the valve cover, cranked, no spark. Fuel pump
reset was in normal position. Any help would be much appreciated ! No check engine light, cooling fans turns on right away, hopefully that means something !

You have crank so battery/charging systems is probably fine. I had a 1990 GT so this may not apply to your year, but check your cap and rotor if you have them (some ignition systems don't), take them out and look for wetness, etc. Otherwise I would check the ignition module or ignition coil & related wiring for no spark.
When was the last time you changed the timing belt? Wouldn't hurt to pull back the belt cover and make sure the belt is turning when you are cranking it. My 1990 Escort 1.9L had to be changed every 110,000 kms consistently, otherwise you were just asking for trouble if the belt broke.
Good luck, Sharky