1998 Escort - Air conditioner on except when set for foot area.

Recently, I find that the air conditioning is on unless I set it to the foot area.
Is this likely to be the switch, or is it maybe caused by the defrost
feature that turns on the air conditioning with warmer temperatures?
Thanks
DLC opined in

Maybe the engineers were too smart for their own good???
Like: "WTH would anyone want to blow cold air only on their feet?"
My response to your question is the same as theirs

In my Contour, the air conditioner is on in the defrost mode when the temperature is above 50 degrees F. This is because when you cool the air, you also dry the air. The dry air helps defrost the windshield. This is true in the defrost/floor setting, but not the console floor setting. So anytime air goes to the windshield, it is cooled if the temp is less than 50 degrees F.
If you need the defroster and it gets to cold in the car, just turn up the heat a bit.
Jeff