1998 Escort catalytic converter

1998 Escort, 2.0L, Automatic, 150,000km. I've traced a jingling noise to two rings of metal on my exhaust pipe on either end of the catalytic converter; they're presumably the remnants from the ends of the cat that have broken or rusted off and are now just hanging on the exhaust pipe and making noise. There are no breaks, holes or obvious signs of rust anywhere in the exhaust pipes or muffler, and no other telltale noises or smells from the exhaust system, and the car continues running just fine. Easily passed provincial emissions test last September. Is this something to be concerned with, or do I just put up with the noise?
Reply to
Bill Kinkaid

Probably just the heat shields loose on the cat. Get some big hose clamps, daisy chain two if you need to, run it around both top and bottom of the cat and tighten it up. Did just that on my 1990 Escort GT in 1996 or so, still holding just fine.

Reply to
sleepdog