1999 Ford contour LX

I have a 1999 ford contour lx. The battery died. When the battery died, I was unable to shift the car out of park into neutral to move it. Is there
a switch that goes bad when the battery dies?
kingpuppy wrote:

With zero electrical current, you have no brake lights when stepping on the brake pedal. Without brake lights lit, you can't shift out of Park - a safety feature.
So, if this is a safety feature, and I cannot shift out of park, how do I get out of this situation? Would I need to be towed if the battery were to die again? I have since replaced the battery. If my car dies in a crowded area, how am I to get it out of the way? I couldn't even shift to neutral to move it.
kingpuppy wrote:

Try turning the key to the "off" position -- halfway between locked (where you remove the key) and on (where the engine would normally be running). There the park lockout should not be engaged.