1999 Ford contour LX

I have a 1999 ford contour lx. The battery died. When the battery died, I was unable to shift the car out of park into neutral to move it. Is there a switch that goes bad when the battery dies?

Reply to
kingpuppy

With zero electrical current, you have no brake lights when stepping on the brake pedal. Without brake lights lit, you can't shift out of Park - a safety feature.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

So, if this is a safety feature, and I cannot shift out of park, how do I get out of this situation? Would I need to be towed if the battery were to die again? I have since replaced the battery. If my car dies in a crowded area, how am I to get it out of the way? I couldn't even shift to neutral to move it.

Reply to
kingpuppy

Try turning the key to the "off" position -- halfway between locked (where you remove the key) and on (where the engine would normally be running). There the park lockout should not be engaged.

Reply to
Bob