2000 Lincoln Town Car dies after starting or has a very weak idle

Threaded View

Hi all.

I have a 2000 Lincoln town car that recently started to have an issue
of dying immediately after starting. If I apply throttle right after
start, it will stay running, but if I lay off the gas it with die more
often than go to a weak idle. It runs fine when gas is applied, or if
I apply a just a bit of throttle above normal idle position. It doesnt
vibrate or misfire at all from what I can tell and highway speeds are
just fine. Just after starting or coming to stop does it either idle
weak or outright die.

I have changed the fuel filter and sparkplugs as it recently passed
110K miles.

My father in law has equipment to measure gas pressure which I will be
doing sometime this weekend, any other ideas of what to look for? What
about the idle control valve? I pulled the electrical connection off
it when it was at a weak idle and there was no difference. Could it be
that part has failed and needs replaced since there was no change when
the electricity was pulled off it??

Re: 2000 Lincoln Town Car dies after starting or has a very weak idle

In article <8884294e-d40a-4c86-bd95-fae87b16f820
@l31g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, mrbigglesworth@gmail.com says...

The IAC (Idle Air Controller, what you call the idle control valve)
would be the first suspect. It's either dead or dirty. Get info on
removing it and seeing if it just needs a good cleaning before doing a
complete replacement.

law!!
Re: 2000 Lincoln Town Car dies after starting or has a very weak idle

Im suspecting that as well as it was mentioned by others in some
forums I have visited.  Problem is it seems incredibly difficult to
get to.  Access to the screws seem impossible without taking off the
actual throttle body assembly.

Re: 2000 Lincoln Town Car dies after starting or has a very weak idle

I'm sure you will find your local Lincoln dealership has the proper tools to
do the job.

Re: 2000 Lincoln Town Car dies after starting or has a very weak idle

Was able to get positioned properly to get the IAC valve off.  Blew
some air intake cleaner in, shook it around, let it dry, reinstalled.
Started the car and it felt like a weak idle again, just as before,
then 2 seconds later, it had a dramatic increase to normal RPM
speeds.  So glad!

Site Timeline