2003 F250 4x4 rocking in mud (ABS SUCKS)

Ok the title of the post was made to catch some attention... and maybe some others can back up the following scenario:

Stuck in deep mud, made ruts, trying to rock out, automatic trans going from 1st to reverse (I read somewhere they are on the same "throw" in the trans so it takes less thinking time for the transmision to shift from 1st to reverse vs drive etc...

i was in 4wd high and i would go foward to get to the peak of the rut, get stuck then want to go to reverse quickly before sliding back down, however the wheels are still spinning so I hit the brakes to stop all 4, and the abs kicks in... when that happeneds I come down the rut and im back where i started... if i were to jam the trans from 1st to reverse i expect I would do some damage so i had to just continue easing my way to the sides of the rut to get out.

I found this very annoying and was wondering if anybody had the same experience, if so what did you do? Does anybody else think abs is not what it is craked up to be... especially in off roading situations?

Just looking for feedback

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Mercury

Usually I see responses in a day since the post.. was wondering whats going on here...

if others would just post to verify they see the message that would help me as well.

Reply to
Mercury

Your post came across just fine. I haven't had the occasion to be stuck with a 2003 F250 but I would have to agree that in some if not most off roading situations ABS does indeed suck. In a pinch I'm sure you could disable the ABS. Bob

Reply to
Bob

yeah i suppose if i pulled the fuse.. however i beleive the fuse is in the engine compartment... doesnt feel good to walk in a load of mud when you know the truck can get out...

they should have a shut of from inside the cab... maybe in future trucks>?

Reply to
Mercury

Reply to
Thomas Moats

excuse my ignorance.. but that statement ; "education would be in order" means nothing to me... please elaborate

Reply to
Mercury

Reply to
Thomas Moats

that clears it up gee thanks... if you are trying to say i dont know how to drive think again.... i was attempting an area where nobody has driven in a while... i was out of state and was bored and i had somebody with another truck in case i got stuck.

And no a winch is not necessary especially if you get stuck in a field what are you going to winch to : mud?

i always carry a comealong.. 4 ton model or 2 ton model i forget...

if worse came to worst i could have used my comealong and my buddies truck and i could have pulled myself out.

The point and / or question i had was i used to be able to rock myself out of anything when standard brakes were being used... with ABS now it takes the wheels for ever to stop and by that tyime youre sliding back down the rut or mud or whatever...

i was hoping people had a silimar experience... i suppose not.

so my assumption is that with todays ABS trucks you cant rock them back and forth like the old ones?

that would be very unfortunate because sometimes it is necesary to rock.

Kenny

Reply to
Mercury

A lot of people say saftey belts are not nessary as well. Just like letting air out of your tires in sand, a winch is a very valuable tool. When used correctly it's real good at preventing torn up equipment like transmissions. You go out in a field that is mud by your self, you might as well expect to get buried. Now what do you do with maybe ten foot of come-a-long cable? With a winch you have

100 foot or more.

Winch........100 foot of line , come-a-long 10 max? Now your buddy can really pull you out and not get stuck as well.

lets see, he is what 10 feet behind you? Most likely stuck as well. Why? You stopped, so he has too as well. Stop, you get stuck.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Hello what do you get when you take a 50ft come alongh and put 50 ft of tow straps on it? you get a 100ft manual "winch"

and the great thing is you dont have to pull in a specific direction... you can come along any way you want.

do you have any comments referring to my main question... its obvious you dont buy quiality comealongs, kmart sells the 10ft ones try getting a real nice one... mine is 50ft of cable

by the way what good is a winch if you are aimed foward and your winch point is behind you?

forget about a snatch block theres nothing to tie to except the car behind you.... 100 ft behind you

anyway... forget the winching or comealonging for just a minute and try to anwser the real question i had:::

forget what i was doing in the mud lets go back to the point i was trying to get at. It seems you really know how to fade the real point of a question into a blur of things that have no real bering on the situation...

the question i was asking is if anybody had a truck like mine stuck in a similar situation and found the ABS to be a problem?

i noticed it was a hinderance on mine.... was wondering if anybody else thought the same.... if so was there anything i could have done to disable the abs at that time, or should i have tried something different to rock out of the hole??

Reply to
Mercury

that would be equivilent to disconnecting the ABS fuse no?

and rocking as i call it gets me out of a lot of jams with my 67 C20

you see when you are apply foward direction to the ground the truck has momentum to get slighty up the hill then stuck of cource but for that slight moment there is potential enegry due to gravity and waiting on the hill... so while im waiting there i wanted to stop my wheels and quickly shift to reverse so i can use the trucks power plus the potential enegry from gravity that i had to help me plow through the gully / rut or whatever that was there

by the way.... if shifting from reverse to 1st gets a transmission overhot then i guess nobody in the world should plow

its an f250 4x4 its got a transmission built for crap like this... get a clue

now if i was sitting there and spinning the wheels for no reason then jamming it into reverse without stopping the wheels... yeah id say thats not too good for the trans... however shifting from 1st to reverse is not going to hurt the trans any worse then shifting from reverse to drive when backing out of a drive way

trucks are made to be driven... i drive mine.. what do you do with yours... just watch it shine?

Reply to
Mercury

===== Yep, a switch would do what you want....

Reply to
Scott M

Just like a winch, a come-a-long is a single direction device. Straight on, it is not designed to pull off the side. Have some one else who is out of harms way ready with a cell phone. Broken cables under can kill.

My winch is 300 foot of cable, I have at my disposal several more hundred foot of cable. I also have a number of snatch blocks and pulleys. I can get just about any thing out. My usual pull is a 20000 +lbs ( Florida has some real nasty swamps and sugar sand pits ) a lot more than your little truck. I doubt you have any where the amount of quality and money in your come-a-long as I have in my basic tool collection.

Thus the pulleys and such.

My winch will work just fine then. Hell, I'll still have two wraps on the reel.

Like I said, disable the ABS. Very simple.

I have not. But that is just me. Just like the FWD vs RWD argument.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

That switch is a lot easier than trying to find a fuse is it not? There is a reason people like auto locking hubs, think about it.

Depends on how hard you are applying pressure to the throttle. Spinning wheels provides 0 forward or reverse motion and digs trenches.

Which now you have to reverse, laws of physics comes to mind........think about it. How is momentum in your favor if you one have to stop the forward direction to go in reverse? If you have forward direction, don't stop.

Nobody plowing does the same type of forward reverse shifting as a stuck vehicle. Yes plowing is very rough on a truck, but it is no comparison. Been there done that and fixed a lot of them as well.

Oh, you think the E4OD or AOD in a f250 or 350 is different from a f150? No it's not. It is the same transmission. It is that faulty thinking that guaranties I will always have plenty of work.

More faulty reasoning.

Work provide income.

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Yes but when moving foward and you get to the peak of a rut (you cant keep going you just get stuck) it is best to stop at the top then use reverse to help you push your way out of the mes by using gravity as well as wheels

If you are going foward and then start spinning just continue to spin the tires? is that how you get out of a rut? The point is that i had momentum foward... i knew at the top i would get stuck... i had already tried flying up the hill with little success anyway by getting to the peak and before the truck slides back down the hill you engauge reverse and get it going then u get out of rut... yeah sure i could go out and buy a couple hundred dollars worth in winches and etc... but the point is i dont want to walk where i am driving, i let the truck do the work

same transmission yeah... except the f250 model has an oil cooler and keeps it from getting "hot" as you put it..

you prove to me what is bad about shifting from reverse to 1st or vise versa when all wheels are stopped.... its shifting a gear, people do it all day long.

Now if i were repetitively doing that then i suppose you have a point... but my point is that to rock a truck out of a stuck condition you may only need to do like 3 or 4 reverse to 1st throws

I get myself to work with mine yes... and when i get the chance to go throgh some mud i do that as well.

As of late however i got some body damage to the truck cause i was offroading in too tight of an area...

oops.... body work is going to cost thousands anyway ive recently realized that i should get a beater to offroad with however playing in mud with no treees around to hit aint so bad

Kenny

Reply to
Mercury