2003 F250 4x4 rocking in mud (ABS SUCKS)

Ok the title of the post was made to catch some attention... and maybe some others can back up the following scenario:
Stuck in deep mud, made ruts, trying to rock out, automatic trans going
from 1st to reverse (I read somewhere they are on the same "throw" in the trans so it takes less thinking time for the transmision to shift from 1st to reverse vs drive etc...
i was in 4wd high and i would go foward to get to the peak of the rut, get stuck then want to go to reverse quickly before sliding back down, however the wheels are still spinning so I hit the brakes to stop all 4, and the abs kicks in... when that happeneds I come down the rut and im back where i started... if i were to jam the trans from 1st to reverse i expect I would do some damage so i had to just continue easing my way to the sides of the rut to get out.
I found this very annoying and was wondering if anybody had the same experience, if so what did you do? Does anybody else think abs is not what it is craked up to be... especially in off roading situations?
Just looking for feedback
Thanks, Ken
Usually I see responses in a day since the post.. was wondering whats going on here...
if others would just post to verify they see the message that would help me as well.
Thanks, Ken

maybe
get
abs
would
what
Your post came across just fine. I haven't had the occasion to be stuck with a 2003 F250 but I would have to agree that in some if not most off roading situations ABS does indeed suck. In a pinch I'm sure you could disable the ABS. Bob

going
the
1st
however
the
yeah i suppose if i pulled the fuse.. however i beleive the fuse is in the engine compartment... doesnt feel good to walk in a load of mud when you know the truck can get out...
they should have a shut of from inside the cab... maybe in future trucks>?
Ken

rut,
the
not
Education would be in order.

excuse my ignorance.. but that statement ; "education would be in order" means nothing to me... please elaborate
thanks ken

maybe
going
the
1st
get
however
abs
would
the
what
If your in a bad enough way with four wheel drive to get stuck then you need a winch. If the area is not all that bad and other four wheel drive vehicles operate with out getting stuck then maybe it's the operator of the stuck four wheel drive unit that needs education on how to use four wheel drive.

that clears it up gee thanks... if you are trying to say i dont know how to drive think again.... i was attempting an area where nobody has driven in a while... i was out of state and was bored and i had somebody with another truck in case i got stuck.
And no a winch is not necessary especially if you get stuck in a field what are you going to winch to : mud?
i always carry a comealong.. 4 ton model or 2 ton model i forget...
if worse came to worst i could have used my comealong and my buddies truck and i could have pulled myself out.
The point and / or question i had was i used to be able to rock myself out of anything when standard brakes were being used... with ABS now it takes the wheels for ever to stop and by that tyime youre sliding back down the rut or mud or whatever...
i was hoping people had a silimar experience... i suppose not.
so my assumption is that with todays ABS trucks you cant rock them back and forth like the old ones?
that would be very unfortunate because sometimes it is necesary to rock.
Kenny

and
in
from
rut,
the
where i

of
not

Hello what do you get when you take a 50ft come alongh and put 50 ft of tow straps on it? you get a 100ft manual "winch"
and the great thing is you dont have to pull in a specific direction... you can come along any way you want.
do you have any comments referring to my main question... its obvious you dont buy quiality comealongs, kmart sells the 10ft ones try getting a real nice one... mine is 50ft of cable
by the way what good is a winch if you are aimed foward and your winch point is behind you?
forget about a snatch block theres nothing to tie to except the car behind you.... 100 ft behind you
anyway... forget the winching or comealonging for just a minute and try to anwser the real question i had:::
forget what i was doing in the mud lets go back to the point i was trying to get at. It seems you really know how to fade the real point of a question into a blur of things that have no real bering on the situation...
the question i was asking is if anybody had a truck like mine stuck in a similar situation and found the ABS to be a problem?
i noticed it was a hinderance on mine.... was wondering if anybody else thought the same.... if so was there anything i could have done to disable the abs at that time, or should i have tried something different to rock out of the hole??
Thanks, Kenny

trans
"throw"
shift
the
down,
and
expect
sides
same
is

Oh and I forgot. If you can read a electrical schematic find the power feed to the ABS module and tie in a on/off switch. That way you can disable the ABS and "rock" ( as you call it ) spinning those wheels in forward and reverse digging you deeper in that muddy field and putting a heap of heat in the transmission ( maybe the mud will cool it when the pan bottoms ). Have a cell phone ready.

that would be equivilent to disconnecting the ABS fuse no?
and rocking as i call it gets me out of a lot of jams with my 67 C20
you see when you are apply foward direction to the ground the truck has momentum to get slighty up the hill then stuck of cource but for that slight moment there is potential enegry due to gravity and waiting on the hill... so while im waiting there i wanted to stop my wheels and quickly shift to reverse so i can use the trucks power plus the potential enegry from gravity that i had to help me plow through the gully / rut or whatever that was there
by the way.... if shifting from reverse to 1st gets a transmission overhot then i guess nobody in the world should plow
its an f250 4x4 its got a transmission built for crap like this... get a clue
now if i was sitting there and spinning the wheels for no reason then jamming it into reverse without stopping the wheels... yeah id say thats not too good for the trans... however shifting from 1st to reverse is not going to hurt the trans any worse then shifting from reverse to drive when backing out of a drive way
trucks are made to be driven... i drive mine.. what do you do with yours... just watch it shine?
Ken

trans
"throw"
shift