351W questions referals

Page 2 of 2
The 351W is a small block motor where as the 351C is a big block in a small displacement. As far as the Windor being unreliable I would like to know how since it shares the same block as the highly reliable 302. As far as
proof of the 302 being reliable I have my 88 5.0 Stang to offer up. It has 190,000 on the odometer and it has not been rebuilt yet. As far as your "friend" is concerned hoytd, I think he is an old schooler from way back in the days when the Chevy small block ruled. The reality of modern days if much different. There is a big aftermarket for the 351W now that didn't used to be in place. As for the Windsor being a gas hog, it doesn't use much more gas then a 5.0 engine does. You should ask your friend for proof of his claims. I myself have known Chevy mechanics that say they wouldn't drive one because they are unreliable. My point is, it's all in your propective of things. If you work on Ford's, guess what? Fords always break down. Same goes with Chevys.

FordBlueBlood wrote:

The 351C engine is the same length as a 351W, and it has a shorter deck height (351C=9.2, 351W=9.5). A 351W crank can be ground to fit the 351C block. 351C stroker cranks are cut from 351W stroker cranks. 351C heads will bolt on to a 351W block. 351W heads will bolt on to a 351C block, and you can make them work if you want to. You can mod the bolt holes and mate a 351W EFI intake to a 351C with 2V heads. When you need more room for a stroker than your 351C block will allow, you move to the taller 351W or 351W-based FRPP block. If a Windsor is a "smallblock" (a shivvy term), then so is the shorter 351C. Better yet, drop the shitty, er, I mean shivvy terms and use the engine names.
As far as "hoytd" is concerned, he is only here to troll. He's not trying to express an honest opinion or engage in a sincere debate.
--
Tom
TS3

The most significant difference between the 351W and 351C are the heads. The Cleveland heads are what make this engine - Cleveland 4V heads feature HUGE canted valves (intake head diameter ~2.19", exhaust head diameter ~1.71). A comparable 351W head features ~1.8" intake and ~1.5" exhaust valve head diameters. The Boss 302 and 351C engines contain the same heads.
Differences between 351W and 351C can be found @ http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/faq/351windsorcleveland.html
Information on the 335 series (M block) engines can be found @ http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/mblock.php
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt