4.6L in 99 Town Car hesitation

I know this is a Ford list, but it seems to be much more active that the Lincoln list...
My in-laws are having occasional trouble with their 99 Town Car. It's a
4.6L, and when it's very cold or very hot, it has trouble starting and then runs very rough. During normal temps, it's fine. It's a very intermittent problem...the travel gauges (tripometer, etc.) also occasionally go on the blink.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
-Brian
Brian Windsor wrote:

From another post:
Problem: Cranks and starts but dies immediately, will not hold RPMs at idle.

Clean the MAF and also check the IAC. These are the two most common problems. There are alot of folks who work their T-Birds, visit www.tccoa.com //////////////////////////// Steep it in carb cleaner for a while to really clean it. Pretty common prob. Did this to my old Escort the other day due to bad idle, works like a charm. /////////////////////