5.0 V-8

Does anyone know what year the 5.0 V-8 was introduced?

Is there any known website I can go to?

Thanks!

Reply to
steven mantas

If you're referring to the old 302, I believe it was 1968. However, you can trace the lineage back to the 221 which came out I think in 1962.

Reply to
Sideshow Bob

A quick Google search turned up this:

Sideshow Bob

Which 5.0 ?

The "Mustang" 5.0, or the 302, or the Windsor V-8 family? As you will recall, in the late 1970's to early 1980's, the US auto industry was changing the nomenclature of its engine displacement designations, so the 302 cid, introduced alongside and as a replacement to the 289 cid V-8, appeared in the 1968 model year. The series was introduced in

1962, I think, with the 260 cid V-8.

The Olds 403 in the Pontiac Trans Am became the T/A 6.6 (different from the T/A 400, which was a Pontiac engine), the Ford 351 Windsor became the 5.8, the Chevy 305 became the 5.0, etc.

So... what are you considering the "5.0"? The first Mustang with a 302 was 1968, and each generation had a 302 available at some point through

1995 (some years - was not avail.).

Rob

P.S. the 302 & 5.0, at 4935 cc displacement, is actually closer to "4.9" liters than "5.0" ...

Reply to
trainfan1

IIRC, Ford already had a 4.9 six-cylinder truck engine. Besides, 5.0 sounds better. (And they run good too; I had one in my 89 Mustang.)

Reply to
Rex Tincher

All true - the six was 300 cid, and a stump puller of an engine, even though only 115 hp(net) in carb, 155 hp in FI trims.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Well Four score & seven years ago...... The Small block 5.0 was originally in the pre- 80's Metric world, the

302 cu. inch. First seen in 1968, being upsized from the previous 283cu.in.
Reply to
Tiger

283 was chevy, 289 was ford Hank
Reply to
Ninebal310

Damn, My bad. your right... :-[

Reply to
Tiger

The 5.0 was available in Explorer's thru 1998. Steve

Reply to
Steven Fleckenstein

Reply to
Curtis Metzler