v-8 timing cover

I bought an original V-8 timing cover to repair the leaking crank snout oil seal and replace mine. I've been reading ads for V-8 parts that list

1951-1954 V-8 applications. Does this imply that major changes were made in the 1955 and up engines? The cast number inside the cover is 1544995. Is this correct for my 1955 259 cu in engine? I'd hate to pull the cover off the motor and find that I had repaired the wrong part. I don't like the car down for any greater length of time than is absolutely necessary. Thank you all, Dexter
Reply to
dwcars

John Poulos

I wonder why the 1958 Golden Hawk and Packard Hawk are the only two vehicles with a different part number for the aluminum timing cover?

Reply to
Dwain G.

51-54 used a sheetmetal timing cover with no provision for the fuel pump. I *think* all the later timing covers are the same.

nate

Reply to
N8N

If the cover you are wanting to use has a provision for a fuel pump, then you are in business. The '51-'54 V8's had the fuel pump up on the oil fill tube. Jerry

Reply to
jerrystudebaker