'67 428 4V Start

Hi

I recently brought home a '65 Galaxie with a transplanted 428 4V/4sp from a '68 Marauder. Rebuilt 2000 miles ago, it now has a Holley 4160 with manual choke.

The car runs beautifully off idle. The problem I need help with is startup. On a cold startup, the manual choke brings this beast to life briefly before stalling. Without choke, it requires full throttle to come alive.

If I manage to finesse the throttle at a cold start to bring rpm above idle, the engine will run smoothly until warm. Once warm, this engine has a lovely idle.

If I don't immediately bring rpm up when cold, it seems to flood as it requires full throttle to restart with considerable unburnt fuel exitting the exhaust when it eventually fires after 8-10 seconds of cranking. I am assuming the idle is rich because of the lengthy full throttle cranking required to clear the excess fuel out.

Another issue is hot starts. This car will not start when hot (not warm) until it has sat for 20 minutes minimum.

I would appreciate any informed opinions and ideas.

thanks in advance & best regards,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Nurse

the carb needs to be set up. first, the choke is set to far full, that is why you need to full throttle it.as for the hot start, it sounds like the flloat level is to high

Reply to
Falcoon

"Dave Nurse" wrote in news:at7nb.340$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

It sounds to me like you may have a blown power valve or warped main meetering plate. Both are very common on holley. Both will give the symptons you describe. (for further help go to alt.hi-po.big-block-ford- mercury they have a lot of experence with the FE and also a couple of Maruder fans. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Hi Dave, On the hot start problem, does your carb have a heat dampning device below it or is it directly mounted to the intake with just a gasket? Vapor lock may be the problem. Is the carb tilted to the rear when mounted or is it straight and level? The cold problem sounds like mixture setting. Use a vacuum gauge to check the drop when you set the timing. More than 1" Good luck! BeeVee

Reply to
BeeVee