info on intake manifold gaskets-67 Ford FE 428

I have to pull the intake on my 428 FE as there is an oil leak at the back gasket. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I've been told not to use the end gaskets and just use RTV sealant where they would go. Any other experiences you've had and advice would be welcome. thanks.

Reply to
sanpablo

I did the same job on a old 390. That intake weighs a lot.

I hung a come-a-long from the ceiling of the garage to pull and replace that big boy.

I don't recall if I used the end gaskets or not, but I think I did.

I knew there was no way I way gonna be able to get that intake on correctly without something supporting the weight.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

snipped-for-privacy@mail.com (sanpablo) wrote in news:47e2d074.7268968 @news.verizon.net:

I would not trust RTV to fill that fairly large opening. The end gaskets have tabs that lock into the side gaskets.

As mentioned, it IS heavy. If you're of a mind to, this would be an excellent time to switch to an aftermarket aluminum intake, losing about 75 pounds of engine weight in the process. The aftermarket intakes are much better designed, and you should see an increase in performance as well as economy.

Reply to
elaich

"Back in the day".... these things had cork end gaskets... Install those with contact cement and add a dab of RTV at each corner.... The "Y" joint is the usual culprit for leaks.

To install the manifiold, I'd lay a couple of long socket extensions, pieces of cold rolled or even rebar on top of the heads... Position the manifold as close as I can and then get into an embarassing position.... Lift slightly on the manifold and have an assistant slide the supports out and drop the manifold into place....

Reply to
Jim Warman