8.8 Mustang diff

hey Jim Warman and others. Remember the diff and adjusting the backlash through pinion depth because the side shim thickness I needed to get the ring gear closer to the pinion
was not available? Added .005 pinion shim. Set everything up. I have .009 backlash, with original side shims. Checked gear contact pattern....perfect. Road test, 100 MPH....no vibration, or humming noise what so ever. Couldn't be happier about a powertrain experienced(not on Ford) decision.....aaahh feels good. Sorry for the over-enthusiasm. Two more questions. #1 What's the best oil to put in a 94 Mustang gear box and what size drain and fill plugs is there on the gear box? Sorry thats's two ?'s in one, haven't been under there to check plug size and hate getting caught without the right tool. Question #2.....94 Mustang with a 302(5.0L) Modified. Aluminum heads, 1.72 roller rockers, GT40 intake, 65mm T/B, performance injectors and pump, cold air intake, shorty headers, no cats, flowmaster exhaust, bolted to a 5 speed with 3.55 gears in the rear. What should the optimal ignition timing and fuel pressure be for this set up? Once again, Thanx in advance. Steve

Glad to hear that it all worked out Steve, the Ford 8.8 is almost identical to the GM 10 bolt axle, service procedures are virtually identical. When you say "original side shims" do you mean the OEM cast iron shims, and if so, how did you get them in and not break them and still achieve proper [side] bearing pre-load? When servicing these axles, it [back lash and carrier bearing pre-load] is usually done with replacement mild steel shim stacks that are pounded into place...

Red Line "MTL" about 9 bucks a quart. Best lube I've ever used in any gear box.

IIRC, should be a square head pipe plug, take a 1/2" and a 9/16" open end with you, I'll bet it's one of those two. (been a while though)

Can't help you here, I hot rod Mopars...