'88 Crown Vic Tranny shifting hard - AOD

Greetings:
Bought this car 6 years ago with a blown tranny. Swapped it out with a
rebuilt unit, and it lasted about 11 months. Took the car back to Mr
Transmission and they put in another rebuilt unit. Last 5 years it's been fine.
Got into the car yesterday and now it won't shift into second until the car reaches about 30 MPH, and into 3rd unitl about 45 MPH. When it does shift, it feels like a shift kit was installed! Took it up to 70 MPH and it won't shift into OD.
I'm not all that familiar with the AOD, but it's acting like the vacume modulator is bad on a C4 (which I have on my built up '78 Mustang). The cable "kick-down" seems to be operating fine. Fluid is up.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tedd
If you have the AOD trans that mates to the 302 engine, it's most likely that the TV gromment has given up. See: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article52.html
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.canada wrote:

Hi Sharon:
Thanks for the tip! Just curious though, with the spring return on the cable, wouldn't the tranny be in non-kick-down posistion, making the shifts earlier instead of later?
I just called the ford dealer here in Ontario, and sure enough, they are only CAN$1.73 each, BUT I have to buy a package of four.
Incredible.
Thanks,
Tedd

It's not a "kick-down" cable. It controls the shift points by altering the internal oil pressures based on the throttle position. Those oil pressures also control how hard the clutches and bands clamp when applied. If the grommet comes apart and the cable disconnects, the trans thinks you're at idle, and applies very little clamping pressure, which can allow the clutches to slip like crazy as the transmission burns itself up.
Is the cable still connected to the lever at the throttle body? If not, the gas pedal pressure should be considerably lighter than usual. It's also possible the cable or linkage has disconnected further down, underneath the car.
It's also possible that it's just a "normal" trans problem, not cable-related.
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:17:37 UTC, "MasterBlaster"

Now I get it! Thanks for the great description.

I haven't checked yet, as we just got our first blast of snow. I can grab the cable terminator and give it a pull, and it snaps right back

I don't even want to go there. If it is the tranny again, it will be used as a demolition car and I'll start looking for a 1999 or 2000 CV.
Thanks again, Tedd
snipped-for-privacy@rogers.canada wrote:

The 2001 & up CV has the PI (product improved) engine, & other enhancements.
Rob