Tranny hesitation and shifting hard

I have a '93 1500 2wd truck with auto tranny. Lately it has had a hesitation engaging when taking off from a stop. It also shifts quite
hard, it used to be a very smooth shifting trans. It has the proper amount of fluid in it. Does this sound like a simple fluid change or is it more problems?
BTW - 180K miles on it
Add pictures here
βœ–
M Rothwell wrote:

Did you check the ATF level like it was motor oil, or according to the directions (= engine warm, running, idle, tranny in Park)? Could be it needs the bands adjusted, or it may have a pump going out..if fluid level is correct when checked under the right conditions, have it checked out by a tranny shop
--
Any and all mail sent to snipped-for-privacy@the-coalition.us will be deleted
automagically. Reply here or use Reply-To: instead
Renι wrote:

Yup - I checked it correctly. I will probably take it in, but hate to throw money at a truck this age.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I have a similar problem with our '98 S-Blazer. It only seems to happen when we are on a long trip after we have been on the highway for over an hour or so. When we get to a certain small town halfway to our destination that has a 4-way stop on the highway, it has a slight hesitation and a hard shift into second. Never seems to happen on short trips, only when the vehicle has been running for a long while. Fluid levels look fine & I believe we did get the fluid, filter, & gasket changed about a year ago. I think the mileage is around 120,xxx or so if I am not mistaken. Any ideas on what's wrong with it or an estimate on what it would cost to get it looked at and/or fixed?
Dave

Add pictures here
βœ–
you know, we need a FAQ around here
the problem is that the bore in the valve body for the 'torque converter regulator control' valve has worn
oil leaks past the valve instead of applying the converter clutch in the converter
the ECM sees the slip, and jacks up pressures to compensate
if you scan it, you will have a code P-1870, 'Transmission Component Slipping'
at your mileage, it's a toss-up whether to fix only the problem or to do a complete overhaul plus fix

out..if
Add pictures here
βœ–
thanks for the reply Time to go to autozone and pull the codes I already know we have a prob with an O2 sensor or two.
Dave

Add pictures here
βœ–
1) it no doubt has a P-1870 code stored which means the converter clutch regulator valve has worn the bore, causing slip which caused the ECM to jack up the pressure to compensate which causes the hard shifts 2) the AFL (actuator feed limit) bore is probably worn out too which causes the delayed engagement

Add pictures here
βœ–
TranSurgeon wrote:

That doesn't sound good. How much could I expect to repair it, if this is indeed what has happened?

Add pictures here
βœ–
take it to a shop that does a lot of GM trucks
tell them you want the Sonnax 'Sure Cure ' kit put in the valve body
price will vary, I'd charge 475, refundable toward a full rebuild if it didn't fix the problem, or if the unit needed a full rebuild within a year

Add pictures here
βœ–

Ya but your a stand up guy. Shouldn't he ask them to diagnose it? If he goes in and tells them what to do, shouldn't he expect $475+ and a big ol' F*ck You if'n it don't fix it?
GMC Gremlin
Add pictures here
βœ–
I had a 98 3500 dually that had a hard shift and hesitation.... believe it or not it was some kind of a fuse. That's it.....
Have a Great One ! Bob :)
Add pictures here
βœ–