89 Taurus Engine Knocking

I have an 89 Taurus 3.0L with about 82K miles on it. There is a terrible knocking on acceleration as well as once the car is up to speed. It does not happen at idle. Higher octane gas makes no difference.

Any suggestions on where to look?

Thanks!

Reply to
Shannon Murray

In news:alt.autos.ford, "Shannon Murray" posted on Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:14:16 -0700:

Dude (or Dudette) I just got my '98 Sable out of the shop. I had a horrible overheating problem, but my car had a horrible pinging/knocking/clattering problem. Mine also started to overheat after the water pump went out and was replaced. I can't say for sure that this is YOUR problem, but when I had my overheating problem fixed, it also fixed the clatter/ping/knock problem. My problem was warped cylinder heads. It cost $838 to have them fixed, but the engine is just as smooth and quiet as a new one.

Damaeus

Reply to
Damaeus