92 Escort ignition lock

Hello,
My wife's car was recently stolen, and later retrieved by the police. I now am faced with a jammed ignition lock (I can't even put the key in).
Using the advice on this thread:
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.autos.ford/browse_thread/thread/f63383e454f8febe/3671c84d00fd1159
.. I was able to get the assembly that houses the lock off of the steering column.
My local parts store sells both this entire assembly ($160), and just the lock alone ($20). I'd like to know if there is a way for me to get the lock out of the assembly, or if I have no choice but to replace the entire thing.
Thanks!
rbc wrote:

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.autos.ford/browse_thread/thread/f63383e454f8febe/3671c84d00fd1159
I have a Ford service manual which covers your Escort but I'm not sure which part you want to replace. The part that the key goes into is called the cylinder, not "the lock". The cylinder turns the electrical ignition switch mounted on the steering column lock assembly. The column lock prevents the steering wheel from turning when the key is not in the cylinder. I think you removed the entire steering column lock assembly when you really want to change just the key cylinder. Is that right?