My wife's troublesome 245

My wife bought a 1993 245 a couple years ago which has been basically a lemon (I had bad feelings about this car and tried to talk her out of it, to no avail. Anyways...):

The check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago. Simultaneously it needed a new battery during the severe cold weather spell we had and, of course, in that process the codes in the system were cleared and the check engine light went out. It's come back on. Checking the codes this morning, in socket #3 I get 2-3-2 and 1-1-3; in socket #6 I get

1-1-1. In both cases the codes indicate that the fuel mixture is too lean or too rich.

Another clue is that this car runs terribly at idle when the air temperature is cold. The idle lopes, rushing up and dropping back down. My guess is that the cold start valve is futzed just based on the behavior of the car. Would that cause these codes? The fuel pressure regulator was replaced last winter or perhaps the winter before due to the idle problem, but it didn't fix it- it of course went to the mechanic on a warm day. I replaced the AMM and the airbox thermostat last summer.

Any suggestions that you all might have are appreciated.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

No idea on the exact cause of those codes, but the problem sounds like that could be caused by a bad O2 sensor.

Are you hearing a whistling noise under the hood? Possible vacuum leak.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Is there a way to test this?

Hmm, that's not something I've noticed but an interesting possibility.

Reply to
Tim McNamara