93 Taurus LX wiper problem

Odd problem with my 93 Taurus LX 3.8L, 160,000 miles.
The wipers work fine at low and high. But when I try to use any of the delay settings, every time the wiper pauses (for whatever time the delay
is set) on the upstroke pretty much right in the middle of the windshield (not the same exact spot every time). After the first pause when it reaches the top of the travel, it pauses yet again.
It never pauses on the down stroke.
Any ideas on the likely cause of the problem?
--
Tony Sivori

Tony Sivori wrote:

As a shotgun approach, I would replace the wiper motor, since it apparently has switches/sensors integrated with it. I had similar problems with a 94 Taurus sedan, and they were fixed by swapping the motor.
It might be the wiper switch also, but the motor is easier to replace IMHO.
zwsdotcom wrote:

What symptoms did your 94 have?
--
Tony Sivori

Tony Sivori wrote:

Wipers wouldn't park, paused in the middle of travel (both directions) on intermittent setting.
Tony Sivori wrote:

problem. The contacts on the resistor board get oxidized and cause intermittent operation. Could be the motor too.
Bob
-

Okay... there's a parking circuit in the motor, right? But in int. mode the parking circuit doesnt work exactly the same way.
He doesnt say his doesnt park from lo or hi so I think bob may be right.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Yeah, they work fine on low and high. The problem is with the intermittent mode only.
Do you think it might be the "Internal Governor / Windshield Wiper Control Module" (that is what Chilton's calls it) that is located on a bracket near the steering column support bracket?
--
Tony Sivori

Bob Urz wrote:

I Googled before I posted and came up with this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J58522A1D
Which is a post that talks about dirty contacts in the stalk switch, and how to attempt to clean them. But the problem in that thread had to do with the delay wipers working properly for a while and then not working at all. The next post in the thread says that Ford put too much grease in the switch, causing problems.
If the timer itself (wherever it may be) isn't a common cause of trouble, it is looking like the switch is my best suspect.
--
Tony Sivori