93 Taurus transmission shiffting problem

My 93 Taurus sedan will not start moving unless I put it in 1 (low) then it will start fine and then shift it into drive and if will work fine until it stop again. It has been this way for several months and does not seem to be getting worse. Is this an electronic problem or mechanical?

Reply to
vwisdom

Well Wisdom,

I have a 1994 Taurus wagon, When I shift my automatic floor shifter through the ranges it links to a cable and in the engine compartment on the top side of the auto transmission it links to a manual link switch. This basically tells your transmission what gear you have moved your shift lever too. This switch can go bad and tell the tranny the wrong information. But the first thing I would do would be to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or so. This will start the computer that controls the engine and the tranny to relearn and start over from the factory settings. These computers to learn as time goes on and it's logic can get messed up; so start here first before you replace any parts. Check and if you have not done so for a while change the tranny fuild and filter. A flush with a filter change would be the best but that will cost a couple of bucks more. Check the fuild with the engine running and at normal temps about 15 miles of useage, if this is not done you will get a low of incorrect fluid level reading. You don't want to overfill this unit, it will foam and cuase problems. Dexron III is probably the correct fluid but be sure buy looking at your owners manual if you have one. It probably say Dexron II but that is what was made at the time 3 will be ok. Also on that manual linkage switch I talked about, I would disconnect it and see if any contacts are curroded; clean if nessasary. Good places to start with...

Gerald

Reply to
gerald2003r