'94 TBird 4.6 : hi-pitched whine

Re: '94 TBird 4.6 : hi-pitched whine
'94 TBird LX V8, 61k mi.
When I start it in the morning, I hear a very hi-pitched whine/squeal when I stick my ear under the hood.
Seems to be either the belt-tensioner or the alternator. Can't really tell which.
Can either component be effectively lubricated?
Belt-tensioners on 4.6's commnly fail in the first 80k mi.?
TIA, Puddin'

foctard your batterys a bit low and your fan is running makes the alt work first thing check for calked tensioner check smooth pullys..observer where belt rides use a stethoscope replace BELT for a quick fix like warman does at sl ford try a can of spray sillicone or handfull of floor dry h u r c
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:50:19 GMT, Puddin' Man

The belt tensioner and idler have a tendency to go dry and fail. The bearing are sealed and not serviceable. I just put new bearings in mine. Idler and tensioner sheave cost about $16 each. I have a small press and mine are steel instead of plastic, I installed new bearings for about $6 total. Quiet as new now.

Greetings lugnut,

Sounds neat.
But I'm not sure I follow 100%.
The orig. Ford part has sealed plastic (ball?) bearings?
You unsealed the Ford part and pressed steel bearings into it?
Would appreciate a brief rundown of equipment needed for this. Maybe you have a machine shop in your garage/basement?
Thx, Puddin'
Puddin' Man wrote:

bearing. buy it at any parts store. 203ff rings a bell but don't hold me to it.
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 16:11:53 GMT, Puddin' Man

Most of the original sheaves are steel. The bearing is usually a 6203 double shielded bearing which can be easily changed out with a small press. They are not locked or otherwise retained - just a light press fit. I have changed them with a hammer and seal driver of the correct size. You can probably be less classy than that and work just fine if you are familiar with working with bearings and seals. If you now have plastic sheaves, you are best to simply rep[lace the whole thing.
Lugnut

I have thanked Lugnut before. I thank Lugnut now.
I will likely be thanking Lugnut again before long. :-)
You don't have a handy reference to a web site that'd help a neophite to learn about working with bearings and seals do you?
Best, Puddin'
Don't forget the power steering pump. Low fluid or a ron out pump will make a high pitched whine type of a noise.
Frank