4.6 L in '94 Tbird: Gates belt

Used to be, Gates belts were 100% reliable.

I gotta serpentine Gates for my Tbird, put it on very carefully, the thing went to hell in 20 miles. Got a replacement belt, it did the same. The edge peels off the belt, threatens serious trouble. I gotta third Gates belt under the guarantee, but I'm afraid to install .

I don't think I am having trouble mounting/aligning the belt. I've reinstalled the original belt several times: no problem.

Anybody got an idea what's going on with this?

Thanks, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man

Wrong belt maybe?

Ed

Pudd>

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
getupand

If the harmonic balancer is going bad, the belt will not align correctly with the rest of the pulleys - it will tear up the belt.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Lavelle

you might want to replace your tensioning pully. (the one you use to tighten the belts) if it has any sign of corrosion on it it may be the reason that it is tearing up you belts. you can buy it at any parts store.

Reply to
1987 T-Bird

Hey guys,

Try inspecting all of the pulleys this belt is routed around. I have a 94 bird and a 92 F150. The 150 had the exact same problem. It was a bent and sharp pulley edge guide. A new pulley fixed the problem. BTW the replacement pulley did not have a edge guide.

Ford Guy

Reply to
Joe Cool

yes, its not the belt it is not being put on right or the tensioner was removed and then put on and is not lined up right... if you took the tensioner off and filed to put the spring mechanism back on corrrectly it will be off centered and will mess up any belt you put on it...

Reply to
jim