95 Escort Hesitation

I have a 95 Escort Wagon with about 160k miles on it. It's been extremely reliable, but recently it has developed a hesitation problem. It happens
periodically, particularly after a downshift (its manual). My first guess is its the plugs. I replaced the plugs maybe 1.5-2 years ago with Bosch Platinums. I pulled them out and they look like they are in decent shape, but not perfect. Is it likely the plugs or should I suspect something else? I don't mind plunking down $6 for new plugs, but I'd rather not play guess and check with a $100+ coil pack and half a dozen other things.
dan
blah wrote:

single platinum or copper spark plugs. Many Ford engines, including the 1.9/2.0 in your Escort have issues with Bosch Platinums. They exhibit all sorts of drivability concerns. Nobody seems to know exactly why.
I would also switch beck to the OEM plugs.
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?