97 Ford Taurus doesn't start

All,
I am new to this discussion board and I need your advice. I have a 9 Ford Taurus which showed "service engine soon" message last week.
haven't yet had a chance to take it to the car repair shop. Yesterda evening the car died and did not start at all. I am not sure what th problem could be. I called the towing truck and will be taking m Taurus to the repair shop today. The battery was replaced about months ago and the car has 125K miles on it. I heard that Ford cars ge transmission issues quite often. I bought this car from a gentlema about 7 months ago and I am new to this "Ford world".
I would like your valuble suggestions on what the possible proble could be and a rough estimate of how much it could cost. Please advic me so I wouldn't be mis-guided by the repair shop.
Thanks, JKu
-- jk ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jku's Profile: http://www.automotivenewsgroups.com/member.php?userid=2 View this thread: http://www.automotivenewsgroups.com/showthread.php?t 535
jku wrote:

Too little information to go on. Let us know what the shop says and I'm sure there are people here who can help confirm (or not) what the shop report is.
Rob

In the Ford world, a bad transmission does not prevent a car from starting. So it is unlikely to be the transmission.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:

I think that might even be true in the Subaru world too...
Rob
Thanks to Rob & Jeff for the information.
Jeff, what are the symptoms of "tramission failure"
-- jk ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jku's Profile: http://www.automotivenewsgroups.com/member.php?userid=2 View this thread: http://www.automotivenewsgroups.com/showthread.php?t 535

Car not moving.

When you put the car in gear, it doesn't move.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:32:56 -0600, jku

Let us know if the engine "turns over" when you turn the key. If there is enough gasoline in the tank (not what the fuel gauge actually says but how much is in there). Let us know if you're getting spark
You need Fuel, Air (oxygen) and Spark. If you've got those & the timing is right you'll at least get a bang :-)
Bad transmissions usually smell, The fluid is often blackened. The engine will rev but no propulsion.
Sounds like it will cost between $1.00 & $28,000 depending on issue and person doing the repair.
With more information we can provide you with a better answer.