97 VW 2.0 Doesn't want to start

Hi, two days ago I was driving my 97 VW Cabrio and start making noises close to the accessory belts. I stopped and could see some smoke and electric burn smell coming from that area. I shut it off and when tried to started again, it quit. I removed the timing belt cover and it's not broken. Check for spark from the coil and it's good. Check all the fuses and intact. Any idea or suggestion of possible cause. Please help. Pecci

Reply to
Pecci

But make sure your timing belt is not broken and everything is timed correctly. I have seen teeth missing so the belt seems intact but does not turn the camshaft. Not sure if the spark is fired due to a crank position sensor instead of an ign. distributor.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

vwdoc1, It was the timing belt out of time. What caused it was the tensioner frozed and make the belt to lose some teeth. Replaced the belt and tensioner and now is running like a baby. This car has 100K miles and I should replace it long time ago (80K miles). Defenitely recomend scheduled changes, specialy this one to avoid major problems and headaches. Thanks Pecci

Reply to
Pecci

vwdoc1, It was the timing belt out of time. What caused it was the tensioner frozed and make the belt to lose some teeth. Replaced the belt and tensioner and now is running like a baby. This car has 100K miles and I should replace it long time ago (80K miles). Defenitely recomend scheduled changes, specialy this one to avoid major problems and headaches. Thanks Pecci

Reply to
Pecci

cool and congrats on finding the problem! ;-) thanks for letting us all know!

Reply to
One out of many daves