97 Taurus - Rain Leaking into Ventilation Blower

Hi group,

Rain leaking into ventilation blower assembly - NOT antifreeze. This is clear water.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a Taurus? I had 1/2 inch of water on the floor on the passenger side following a recent rain in Denver. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

I've had to recently loosen the screws holding the blower just to release the collected water and keep it out of the motor. I did not see any drain inside the blower chamber. Nothing obvious around the pollen filter.

This problem started slowly last fall, and resulted in ice formation within the blower, stopping the blower.

Is there a possibility of a plugged drain around the pollen filter? Maybe a cracked ventilation assembly?

Any inputs are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, GT

Reply to
GT

check for your drain being clogged. pass side lower firewall.

Reply to
Scott M

Found the problem. Was NOT the A/C drain - it was clear.

97-99 Taurus - possibly more: Ford: Are you listening????

There is a plastic rain gutter positioned over the pollen filter. This gutter assembly has a flexible flap on the outer edge that drops down to divert the rain water from the gutter onto the firewall. The plastic in the hinge is thin, and mine had torn, probably when the dealer had replaced the filter the last time. Then, last fall it probably finished tearing.

When this flap is removed (falls off) from the gutter, rain water is efficiently collected and pours directly onto the pollen filter and down into the ventilation blower. You can see the fan through the filter housing. There is no provision designed in to get this water out of the blower except to loosen the blower screws, as I did. In the winter, the water will freeze and burn out the blower resistor thermal cutout. Expensive repair. Not to mention the fact that the defroster stops working when the fan stops.

I don't know if replacement gutter assemblies are available, but I put this back together with sticky electrical tape and a tar sealant.

I consider this extremely POOR mechanical design, to build in a defect such as this. Ford: You blew it.

GT

This

Reply to
GT