Leaking ventilation in a CJ follow up

Found the problem in my CJ's ventilation system. Originally, I thought it was water leaking in from between the seam where the halves of the airbox above the heater meet. The problem was much simpler than that. When I did some body work in the cowl area I removed the old air duct grate. When I replaced it, the seal was lost where the screws were and I never thought to reseal the screwholes. This was enough to allow seepage and eventually collect water in the duct that is directly below the sterring wheel. On heavy rain days it would collect quite a bit of water around my feet. Anyway, I got it sealed up and it works like its new. I ended up removing the whole thing and resealing it with butyl caulk (thanks to Mike Romain) and closed cell foam for the removable parts. I figured since the dash was off, I might as well do it right. So if you've got leaking and your drain is clear, this might be your problem. Still doing the rest of the dash rebuild more to follow. This will take a while, my work hours are pretty long sometimes. Rich Harris

86 CJ7 4.0l head w/MOPAR MPFI, Tom Woods driveshaft, 4:10 w/Detroits F/R, 33" BFG MT's, Rubicon Express springs, ProComp MX6 shocks, revolver shackles, and a couple more fun tricks.
Reply to
Rich