98 Ford Taurus check engine code 174

I have a 98 Taurus, about a week ago, it started to run rough. When stopped at traffic lights it sounds like it is going to stall out. Then the check
engine light came on. I took it to Autozone and the test came back with the code 0174. The possibilities that were given for the problem were oxygen sensors, fuel injection problem and a start/ misfire problem. Could spark plugs cause this. I have been reading a lot of threads and I am noticing that most of the time it isn't the oxygen sensor. Any ideas would be great. Low on cash and need to figure out what the problem is.
x caliber wrote:

If you're looking for no-money-down things to try, try all the obvious easy stuff that could potentially be related:
- remove and clean spark plugs, check and regap if necessary - clean plug wire contacts and put fresh dielectric grease on them - check air cleaner for obstructions, replace if necessary - clean MAF sensor with carb cleaner - check vacuum hoses for leaks, reseat connectors - check PCV valve and the hoses that lead to/from it - disconnect the battery for an hour, then drive for a week or so and see what happens
All the above - assuming worst case you replace the PCV and the air cleaner - will cost less than $20 and a Saturday morning. Won't necessarily fix the problem, but can't hurt anything to try.
(It will take a while for the engine to get used to the cleaned MAF sensor, expect it to perform oddly while it's learning).
Thanks for your reply. I am really thinking that it is the MAF. We cleaned the throttle body sensor and it isn't running as rough as it was, but the computer is still showing the codes 171 and 174. We are planing on cleaning the MAF to see if that helps any. Thanks.