98 Grand Marquis Evap Check Engine Code

The check engine light came on on my 98 Grand Marquis. My mechanic said it was a defective filler tube and gas cap. They found this with a smoke test. Paid $285.00 for the repair and the check engine light
came on again. Anyone know what else it could be? By the way, where is the charcoal filter cansiter on this car?
First thing: Go to auto supply and get a code reader, plug it in under the dash and get the code number. A book comes with the reader, look up the number and find out what the problem is. Most of the auto parts stores will read the code numbers for you free, and they will tell you what the code is. I bought a code reader for less than $30.00
finiteguy wrote:

As has been noted... you are assuming that the CEL is on for the same reason as previous... The best bet is to find out what the PCM is trying to tell you before you try to fix it...

Good idea: When my daughter lets me take the car for an hour so I will bring to to Auto Zone and have them read the code again. You say you can buy a reader for around $30.00? Are they any good? I might buy one.
finiteguy wrote:

They have become cheaper and better. I bought one from Harbor Freight for about $40. This one has the code information in the reader; you don't need the book.
For manufacturer specific codes, however, you do need another reference.
Ken