99 sable wiper problem

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem? I will be driving along and suddenly the wipers come on. I can get it to stop by manually turning them from off to on to off again. Problem comes and goes. Is there anything that is a known problem with these?

I'm planning to put a remote start in tomorrow and will investigate while I have stuff apart, just wondering if anyone had a heads up on what to look for. maybe just new new multifunction control?

thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris M

Educated Guess - the 'Parking' contacts on the wiper motor are getting wet or corroded and are shorting together, starting the motor. Or the cam is getting worn to the point that the contacts are closing on their own. The solution could be as simple as cleaning up the switch or adjusting the gap by bending the contacts.

Wiper motors have 'Parking' contacts so even if you turn off the switch mid-stroke the motor keeps running till the wipers get back to the bottom, then a cam from the wiper arm output shaft opens the contacts. If you have turned off the stalk-mounted wiper control switch, they stop every time they reach that point.

If your car has wipers that visibly stop at the bottom of the stroke and then retract below the cowl line, it's the same idea but a lot more complex - I think after they stop in the normal parking position they reverse the wiper motor to get the arms to retract into the final parked position.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Hmmm, never thought about that. Assumed problem to be in control lever but what you are saying makes sense. I'll investigate and let everyone know what I find.

Reply to
Chris M

Do tell, I am interested Tony

Reply to