2001 S60..has anyone had this problem?

After I drive through snow I sometimes have a problem with severe vibration and shuddering coming from the wheels (feels like they are terribly out of alignment). The first time this happened to me (2 winters ago), I took the car to the dealer and they told me that snow is getting up under the wheel wells and causing the vibration. I was told that this is a known problem with the S60, and that there is no "fix" for it. I have to hope for a warm spell and then the snow will melt and the problem goes away. My questions: Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, do you have a solution to the problem.

It's extremely annoying and I don't think I'll be buying Volvos any more.

Reply to
Terry Dowd

I would think that there is snow stuck in the rims not in the wheel wells. Anything stuck to the rims will cause them to become out of balance and that will result in shudder and vibration if you get going fast enough. It happens on all cars in the winter not just Volvos or the S60. The next time you feel the vibration get out and look at your rims; both the outer and inner sides. Remove any snow found and see if that resolves the vibration.

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B.

Thanks for the info. You're probably right about the rims, but in 30 years of driving, I've never had this happen to any car except my S60! No build up on outer rims, and I don't know how I could see or clean inner rims without crawling under the car.

Reply to
Terry Dowd

If you turn your wheels full lock right for the left rim and full lock left for the right rim you should be able to see part of the inner side of the rims. I don't know what type of rims they are but the more solid (ie: more rim material) they are the more chance of snow buildup. On my 1992 VW GTI the teardrop rims were a bugger for this. They only had small voids which actually seemed to gather snow when it was bad enough out.

Try it and let us know. It might make you reconsider not wanting to buy another Volvo if this was the only reason you had not to. {:-)>

Jordan 1999 S70 Loaded!

Reply to
Jordan B.

It happens on most cars... No reason for not buying a Volvo, just get a different rim design. And clean the damn things out if there is an ice/snow buildup.

I have 5 spokes on my car, and they haven't had a problem (snow flies off when you drive), but on my dad's 960, with its many curved spokes, ice loves to live there.... you have to poke all the ice out... or else it shakes good.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I doubt that the S60 is the only car to suffer from this problem. Almost every make of car in the world will have experienced this sort of thing in foul weather.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

same thing happend once on my s80, rear rim got a splash of slush which froze, couldnt drive over 90km/h until I hosed the snow off. Shit happens. "Terry Dowd" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
JohanE

Reply to
John Robertson