Acetone in your gas = better mileage?

Found this link on another NG. Have no idea if it is BS or not.

Paul O.

Oh, no.... not again..... Start with reading the MSDS on acetone....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The question is not whether it is BS or not - The question is whether the person that runs this web site is insane or not. It is hard to imagine so much BS being accumulated in one place by a sane person.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

As near as I can figure, the very low flashpoint of acetone will lower the octane of fuel - lower octane fuel often provides better mileage. Of course, it might knock and ping like crazy too.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

"C. E. White" wrote in news:43257c56_1 @news1.prserv.net:

Heh... I think he's senile now.. just FORMERLY insane.

Problem is:

I agree with him on Ethanol. My own experience is my mileage goes DOWN almost ten percent when I run a fuel labeled ten % ethanol.

And the Fogerator is an exercise in doublespeak.

And the crap about engines failing at under 100,000?!!!

- Heh! That's the tipoff he must be looney tunes.

L8tr... gonna go out and get me a gallon of acetone.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

A lower flash point does not necessarily translate into more combustible nor any higher or lower octane equivalant. Gasoline has a much lower flash point than Diesel fuel. Yet, the Diesel's autogenous ignition temperature is much lower than gasoline. LPG and natural gas have autogenous ignition temperature higher than gasoline yet along with higher octane equivalants but, the flash points are way down there. Flash points, autogenous ignition temps and octane ratings are different qualities possessed by a fuel.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks Lugnut. I seem to be armed with just enough stuff to be dangerous (at least to myself).

I still think I will stick to running the stuff that comes out of the pump at the local station without augmentation - except for an occasional can of Techron...

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayon

Hmm, I was thinking about adding some acetone to the fuel in my '82 Dodge pickup, which is not registered and sits most of the year except to plow my driveway and move rocks and material around my property. The carb is pretty gummed up and the acetone might help to gradually clean it, although I would be concerned about the acetone dissolving or degrading seals in the carb.

Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

works is that it lowers the surface tension of the gasoline, allowing for more efficient atomization of the gasoline when mixed with air. Around the house it's commonly referred to as nail polish remover (but make sure the contents indicate 100% pure acetone).

Here is a link to what seems to be an objective source(?) on the topic.

sleepdog

Very interesting read.

I've started some experiments myself.

Test subjects:

1982 Dodge W150 pickup that barely runs, is unregistered, used for plowing my driveway and moving dirt, logs, whatever around my property 1998 Ford Explorer

Generac EXL 7000 gasolene powered generator

I added 3 oz to a tank of gas in the Ford and Dodge.

Because I also got an oil change, air filter and transmission fluid change on the Ford, my results cannot be attributed with certainty, but I will state that the vehicle seems to have more thottle response than before.

The Dodge has a clogged up carb, hasn't run on all 8 cylinders in about a decade and barely runs well enough to plow snow from my private road each winter. It also had a bad after-run problem, where the engine would keep turning over in a 'klunk-klunk-klunk' fashion. Adding acetone to the fuel and operating the vehicle for ten minutes, I noted that for the first time in about 10 years, it will idle smoothly, as if running on all cylinders. When I shut it off, the engine shut off cleanly, without after run.

I added about 1-3/4 oz to the generator, which has a 7 gallon tank. It's impossible to tell if there is any operational improvement without a heavy load. I ran it for 30 minutes while I used to power for running my electric chain saw to cut up some logs. Normally, when I shut down this generator, it will backfire or post-ignite in the muffler, after the engine comes to a stop. With the acetone, the generator shut down without the backfire in the muffler this time.

I will be driving to Florida in a few days and this will be a great opportunity to test the mileage results on a long trip with a lot of sample data.

As an aside, I am interested in any ideas for improving the aerodynamics of the '98 Explorer, so as to have less wind resistance at highway speeds. Reducing wind drag can make the most difference, as a significant portion of engine output is used counteracting drag. I have the stock Explorer, and am wondering if there are any simple modifications that can be made to reduce turbulence and drag. Has anyone got any wind tunnel test data for the Explorer?

-- Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at:

sites at:

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

How will Acetone react on modern engines with catalitic converters?

"Paul O." schreef in bericht news:n8sUe.3902$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

Reply to
lincoln MKII

That's a good question. Here's some more:

How does it react to plastics, like the plastics in fuel pumps, fuel tank baffles, fuel injectors, filters, in tank screens, Ect. What does it do to fuel lines I wonder? What about o-rings on fittings and injectors? What about O2 sensors? I personally think your crazy to put acetone in your fuel without knowing the effects (if any) to all these parts. Maybe the small amount you use won't hurt at all? I don't know...Do you?

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

:D Experimenting with acetone in my 2001 Explorer 4.0 Liter. At 3 oz of acetone to ten gallons of gas - no improvement to mileage. Reduced acetone to 2 oz per ten gallons of gas and mileage went from 16 -17 to

20 miles per gallon. Filling the fuel tank up to the neck every time, at the same fuel station, at the same pump, by the same person has eliminated some of the variables. One of the best proofs that the increased mileage is real, before adding the acetone we could only drive 340 miles before fuel light would come on and it would take 20 gallons to fill the tank, now we go 400 miles before the light comes on and it takes 20 gallons to fill. I tried acetone and I believe it is a safe and worthwhile product for improving fuel economy. T Hanson :D
Reply to
T Hanson

Reply to
mstrspy