Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage, Has anyone tried this?

Stan Weiss

*MAYBE* it'll increase your mileage, *DEFINITELY* it'll increase your garage-time/repair bills as it eats anything rubber in the fuel system.
Reply to
Don Bruder

I have an old car to test things on. One time I cleaned out a garage and there were bags and bags of dry gas, essentially alcohol. I dumped it all in. Then I had extra mineral spirits and naphtha. I did try some acetone also and in quantities greater than those sites recommend. There was no measurable difference in mileage beyond the added volume of what I added and fortunately, no damage of note. A couple ounces of acetone probably won't hurt anything, but why would anyone bother unless they had an old clunker they were trying to kill.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Many years ago I used to use about a pint of acetone twice a year to clean out the fuel system. This was on a car driven about 20,000 miles a year. At that time hi-test was 36 cents a gallon so i did not check gas mileage. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss

| Has anyone tried this?

ask the author of

TE Cheah

I just checked my can of CRC / Fuel Injector / Air-Intake Cleaner / Teflon Safe which Contains Propane, Xyene, Toluene, Acetone, and the list goes on. If you checked the percentage of acetone that is to be added the most that will happen is you get a clean fuel system. I only put 5100 miles a year on my car so it would take some time to see if this had any increase in mileage. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss

I just checked my can of CRC / Fuel Injector / Air-Intake Cleaner / Teflon Safe which Contains Propane, Xyene, Toluene, Acetone, and the list goes on. If you checked the percentage of acetone that is to be added the most that will happen is you get a clean fuel system. I only put 5100 miles a year on my car so it would take some time to see if this had any increase in mileage. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss

It is just an urban myth/meme which gets a run whenever the price of petrol spikes.

Reply to
ShazWozza

I read in an article by H. Indenburg, P.E. that heard that gasoline aerated with hydrogen will give an explosive increase in power.

Reply to
John S.

Acetone has been used as engine fuel for many years the only question is does it help gas mileage.

It does have many properties like a very high anti-knock raing.

The top cars built for the new Formula would all be sans supercharger. Maserati chose a straight six normally aspirated engine configuration. This configuration was based on A6SSG engine and allowed for an uncomplicated layout of valve gear, manifolding and ancillaries. Fueled by a mixture of 50% methanol, 35% petrol, 10% acetone, 4% benzol and 1% caster oil the engine produced an initial 220 bhp at 7,400 rpm. The petrol was only rated at 80 octane but with the acetone the fuel mix would burn faster. The benzol would ensure that the methanol and petrol mixed properly while the caster oil was necessary to alleviate the effects of the alcohol washing away the oil film from the cylinder walls. The entrant could easily increase power by using a more radical fuel mixture or by increasing the compression ratio.
And some day Mr. H. Indenburg and his hydrogen may well be in your tank. Stan

Reply to
Stan Weiss

Well, yes there have been many exotic fuels used in cars. In my youth I loved the quarter mile drags...there were some eye-watering (and corosive) mixes used. But the O.P was asking about jazzing up fuel for normal everyday usage. A very poor idea, especially when the advice comes from some website.

Hopefully H. Indenburg himself will avoid being put in the tank - he has become a bit claustrophobic in old age. Yes, the Indenburg additive may be the fuel of the future, but not aerated as an enhancement to 93 octane gasoline.

Reply to
John S.