Aerostar Oil Pressure Indicator

My 97 Aerostar oil pressure gauge shows about 3/4 of full scale. I'm used to seeing other Aerostars register around mid-scale. I've never seen oil pressure go high before. Is 3/4 too high? Any idea on what causes a higher
than normal oil pressure?
Fred wrote:

Nothing to worry about, since the gauge is almost certainly a fake, being driven by a snap switch, same as a red idiot light. If you're truly concerned about engine oil pressure, install an aftermarket gauge.
Thanks. Are you sure about that particular gauge being an on/off type?

Absolutely! That sending unit is just an on off switch. Bob

if you do want to see relative pressure, the usual fix on earlier 90's model fords was to pull cluster, solder a wire across the 20 ohm resistor near oil gauge terminals and replace the switch sender with a variable resistor version.
you pay..DEAL with it!

Sounds like a good idea. Reckon this would work on a 97?

pull the cluster and see if there's a resistor
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

See this write-up: http://rogueperformance.com/oilsw.html
Hey, thanks, Sharon! That's great.
wrote

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:19:45 GMT, "Fred"

to see it. I ran 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in summer.
Thanks fellers!! I did pay more attention to the gauge today and it stayed right on the same spot, no matter what the RPM was.