Alternator question for 92 Lincoln TC

I need to put an alternator in my father's car next time I make it up to North Texas to visit him so I have a couple of questions for the board.
Does the 92 Lincoln TC have the voltage regulator built into the
altornator or is it seperate? Is there any place that sells quality rebuilt alternators that don't crap out after 6 months or a year? Would I be better off spending the bucks and buying an new or rebuilt alternator from Ford?
Thanks in advance for your input, Scott

worth the cost. ALSO check out the battery and connections, bad batteries are alternator killers. If he lives out of town and cant aford a mechanic ect. it might be worth it to you to just replace the battery too.
I had to get a Discount Auto alternator for my '92 Grand Marquis at 137000 miles in April '00 because of a failure on a Sunday morning during a road trip. Cost me $140 and lasted a little over 2 years and 35000 miles. Couldn't take advantage of Discount Auto warranty because of out of state location. Replaced it with a unit from AutoZone for $170. That was almost two years and 32000 miles ago, so I can't attest to its quality, but it does have a lifetime warranty. Nice thing about AZ is that I was able to borrow a free tool to hold the drive pulley while busting loose the fan clutch. It's a fairly easy job on the 4.6L engine to replace the alternator. Stan K. Scott wrote: