Blocked Trans. Cooler lines

Car Ford Taurus 1998. Trans developed a leak.Was told by the mechanic that my trans. Cooler lines was blocked. Is this common? What could have caused this, Is it an expensive repair. The car still runs fine..for now..! Thanks for the response.

Reply to
Hunibee

Hunibee opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I waited for someone more experienced than myself to reply... but I think it unlikely.

Kinked or crimped lines, yes... "blocked" would imply your trans and/or fluid are in pretty bad shape.

What did the mech propose to do about it?

I would take the lines off and blow them out, reverse-flow.

Then I'd change filter and fluid, purge the system and do the filter/fluid change again.

Or you MIGHT want to try another shop

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It ALSO could be there's a defect in a flex-"rubber" portion of the line where the inner lining cracked and collapsed, blocking flow.

This is pretty rare, but has been known to happen... if you're able, inspect the lines and look for section of hose with hardware store clamps which would indicate that has been replaced... probably with standard hosing not suitable for fuel or petroleum fluids

Backyard Mechanic opined in news:Xns958A76158C839BkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic