Brakes on Taurus, 3.0 V6 Duratech vs Vulcan

Page 1 of 3
My wife and I have two 2000 Taurus, both with ABS, with about 65,000 miles, one plain Vulcan 3.0, the other Duratech 3.0.. I have found that the Duratech 3.0 goes through brakes pads about 1.5X to 2.0X as fast as the 3.0
Vulcan. We mix drive both cars about equally between us. Has anyone found a similar pattern. I am curious hear about any similar experiences. Thanks
I'd suggest one of three things is going on. 1) You drive the Duratec harder than the Vulcan because it's more fun and easier to get to speed. 2) You each have a primary car and the one with the more aggressive driving tendencies drives the Duratec. 3) The rear drum brakes are not adjusted properly on the Duratec.
For a better cross section of Taurus owners, check out www.tauruscarclub.com
C J

miles,
3.0
Brakes on Taurus, 3.0 V6 Duratech vs Vulcan Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Wed, Oct 29, 2003, 2:21pm From: snipped-for-privacy@spa.pam (V.B.) My wife and I have two 2000 Taurus, both with ABS, with about 65,000 miles, one plain Vulcan 3.0, the other Duratech 3.0.. I have found that the Duratech 3.0 goes through brakes pads about 1.5X to 2.0X as fast as the 3.0 Vulcan. We mix drive both cars about equally between us. Has anyone found a similar pattern. I am curious hear about any similar experiences. Thanks <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I just had the original front pads replaced on my 99 Duratec at 50k miles. There was nothing wrong, just getting a little thin. Rears are still fine.
Eric
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Brakes on our 99 Taurus SE (Duratec) lasted 93000 km (58000 mi) for front and back. New rotors, but drums were OK to turn. Seems to match your findings for your Duratech Taurus...
Stephen Holden
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, eh!
At 65,000 miles, the brakes pads on the Vulcan still have some way to go yet..
(V.B.)

Re: Brakes on Taurus, 3.0 V6 Duratech vs Vulcan Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Fri, Oct 31, 2003, 8:48pm From: snipped-for-privacy@spa.pam (V.B.)
At 65,000 miles, the brakes pads on the Vulcan still have some way to go yet..<<<<<<<<<<<<
I think the reason is that the Vulcan has a different tranny than the Duratec. There has been some concern posted here about the fact that the Duratec tranny dosn't slow the car down as quicky when you take your foot off the gas as the Vulcans tranny does.
The end result being that you have to use the brakes more with a Duratec.
Eric
(V.B.) My wife and I have two 2000 Taurus, both with ABS, with about 65,000 miles, one plain Vulcan 3.0, the other Duratech 3.0.. I have found that the Duratech 3.0 goes through brakes pads about 1.5X to 2.0X as fast as the 3.0 Vulcan. We mix drive both cars about equally between us. Has anyone found a similar pattern. I am curious hear about any similar experiences. Thanks <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I just had the original front pads replaced on my 99 Duratec at 50k miles. There was nothing wrong, just getting a little thin. Rears are still fine. Eric Brakes on our 99 Taurus SE (Duratec) lasted 93000 km (58000 mi) for front and back. New rotors, but drums were OK to turn. Seems to match your findings for your Duratech Taurus... --
--
Stephen Holden
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, eh!

Re: Brakes on Taurus, 3.0 V6 Duratech vs Vulcan Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sun, Nov 2, 2003, 1:53am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (ChristopherBrown) Not necessarily. The Vulcan can come with the AX4S or the AX4N. The Duratec comes only with the AX4N (now known as the 4F55E). CJ<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Don't know when the two types of trannys took effect. Even so for a Vulcan it's a 50/50 shot as to which one it's got. The OP was talking about a 2000 model. So far the tranny issue offers a logical answer to brake usage.
Eric
The Vulcan has the AX4S and the Duratec has theAX4N.. I want to believe what you said about how the tranny slows down. The Duratec does snap to attention when you press the gas pedal. Also it seem to run at a higher RPM for a given road speed. I guess I just have to pay that much more attention to the brake pads since they do not come with wear sensors. Damn well nearly chew up my rotors....because I had been used to the vulcan wear duration.
Re: Brakes on Taurus, 3.0 V6 Duratech vs Vulcan Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Nov 1, 2003, 11:51pm From: snipped-for-privacy@spa.pam (V.B.)
The Vulcan has the AX4S and the Duratec has theAX4N.. I want to believe what you said about how the tranny slows down. The Duratec does snap to attention when you press the gas pedal. Also it seem to run at a higher RPM for a given road speed. I guess I just have to pay that much more attention to the brake pads since they do not come with wear sensors. Damn well nearly chew up my rotors....because I had been used to the vulcan wear duration.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I get the brakes at least looked at when I get an oil change & tire rotation every 4-5k miles. Helps prevent any surprises.
Eric

Amen to that...I have a 99 with the Duratec and the car never seemed to want to slow down after letting off the gas. My brakes were worn out at around 20,000. I took it in under warranty about the deceleration problem, they replaced the idle air control valve and turned my brakes and put new pads on. They reprogrammed the PCM also. This helped some but I think it is just the nature of this car. It was just hard getting used to the way this car acts.
Jason Carter wrote:

Same trannie, electronically shifted. Possibly different PCM module programming for it. They let the car coast more with little engine braking for fuel economy reasons as i have been told. Another PCM module programming issue. Computer tells the Trannie what to do, and it does it. Since the two engines have very different power bands, the shift points and feel should be different. even with the basically same transmission. Blame the computer.....
BOB
Re: Brakes on Taurus, 3.0 V6 Duratech vs Vulcan Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Tue, Nov 4, 2003, 8:55pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@united.net (JasonCarter) I think the reason is that the Vulcan has a different tranny than the Duratec. There has been some concern posted here about the fact that the Duratec tranny dosn't slow the car down as quicky when you take your foot off the gas as the Vulcans tranny does. The end result being that you have to use the brakes more with a Duratec. Eric
Amen to that...I have a 99 with the Duratec and the car never seemed to want to slow down after letting off the gas. My brakes were worn out at around 20,000. I took it in under warranty about the deceleration problem, they replaced the idle air control valve and turned my brakes and put new pads on. They reprogrammed the PCM also. This helped some but I think it is just the nature of this car. It was just hard getting used to the way this car acts.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
New brakes at 20k miles seems premature. you must really be hard on the brakes. Try taking the car out of OD when you need to slow down. That will drop the tranny into 3rd & 2nd gear sooner.
Eric
Several years ago Ford went back to rear drums ands single exhaust on the base Taurus and dropped the base price by $1,000 for marketing purposes since competitors vehicle had rear drums.
Newer trannys by design have less hold back to improve fuel mileage for CAFE.
mike hunt
Eric
Eric Toline wrote:

You CAN NOT get "factory installed 4 wheel disc brakes," on any Taurus or Sable sedan, at any price since the 2000 model year, base model or high-line. Wagons still come with 4 wheel disc brakes. Drum brakes sucks, especially on a car with 200HP Duratech 3.0V6, that can hit over 110 in under 13 secs.
(Jason Carter)

That's why I have a wagon. Standard rear discs. :-)
CJ
(Jason Carter)

the
at
getting
the
The difference in stopping distance between rear drums and discs is negligible, if you take the time to look a the specs. If discs are that important to one, they can be installed with factory parts, for a relative few dollar of the $1,000 on saves on the purchase price.
mike hunt
"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

Keep on believing the specs that "> The difference in stopping distance between rear drums and discs is negligible<", and I am sure I can sell you some 'Yugos' as high performance cars. On the base Vulcan, I can see and accept rear drums, but a 200+HP engine Duratech, no way And just which other cars similar in size to Taurus/Sable with a 200HP engine comes with rear drums, and ZERO rear disc as an option?? Only a fool would put a price tag on his, or her family safety by talking about saving $1,000. The first time they rear-end someone, they will wish they had 4 wheel disc when they received the increase in insurance payments. This is 2003, get real, car buyers are not as stupid as some of us wants to think. Give them some respect, give them real choice.

"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

I remember a number of years ago, the local Dodge dealer was giving a free Yugo if you bought a new pickup.

So, going 65 MPH in both cars on the interstate the duratec with drums is somehow going to stop longer than the vulcan with drums?

I have no problem with you wanting the option. But with the front brakes doing what percentage of the stopping (70% + or so ?), just how much more stopping distance is gained under normal driving with the rear disks?
Now, if your aggressively driving the car in a race or such....... Are you a closet Mario Andretti VB? Where have you had your taurus up to 110 MPH?? ;)
BOB
I am not going to try and prove my experience to you.. However, here is what you can do.. check the "Car and Driver" and "Road and Track", and "Motor Trend", and "Consumer Reports" Archives. They shows breaking Test from 70, or 60 mph.in Taurus new car test and those distances varies between 4WD Discs and Discs/Drums. I believe those guys Drive and Test cars for a living, and might be just more believable that I might be..OK

I drive between North Corolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New Jersey, and sometimes New York 80% of the time, and if you believe people are driving nornally, you are sadly mistaken. And I include both cars and Trucks

doing
110MPH... that is my secret... but trust me, a Duratech can top 110MPH.. I am nor Mario, just had to see if the car could specs and it did..and some.. Taurus/Sable are GOOD cars, but some aspects of it are damn CHEAP..I consider the drums one CHEAP SOB area.