Clogged radiator

The radiator on my '87 E-150 w/302 has what looks like lime deposits around the mouths of the tubes that are visible, and the engine runs hot when I go over 60. What can I use to dissolve these deposits? Looking
for something stronger than off-the shelf cleaners, and plan to pull the radiator out, to do this right. The radiator is brass.

A radiator shop can pull the tanks off and rod it out. You might want to check the lower radiator hose to be sure it's still good. If it doesn't have a spring in it to keep it open it could collapse from suction at high speed. This may sound strange, but it has been known to happen.
--
Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

A radiator shop can pull the tanks off and rod it out. You might want to check the lower radiator hose to be sure it's still good. If it doesn't have a spring in it to keep it open it could collapse from suction at high speed. This may sound strange, but it has been known to happen.
--
Every day is a good day- it's just that some are better than others.

thomas_graham wrote:

month you gonna be replacing the water pump as it will be leaking also.. take the rad. out and to a rad. shop and get them to rod it out for you.. then the vehicle will run cooler.. also check the rad. hoses.. at 60 MPH. they might be closing on the inside (the inside of the hoses might be collapsing and cutting off the coolant flow???? hope this helps.