Coolant System is Frustrating me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?? I have an older thunderbird. I have replaced radiator, thermostate, water pump, heater core, head gasket. It doesn't appear that
the head is leaking, no water in the oil. The car is overheating and going through antifreeze like it is free. All hoses are good, no obvious leaks, no plugged hoses, and still using a half gallon of antifreeze a day, in order to prevent overheating. Seems that it will run (heat wise) where it should for awhile then overheats again. Still gettting antifreeze on the inside of windows even with new heater core. I am so puzzled and frustrated, can anyone offer any suggestions?

If you are getting fogging on your windows with antifreeze, something is leaking. take the heater out of the picture by bypassing the core with a short piece of tubing or just hook one of the hoses in a loop. See if that cures it. If it does, you still have a leak in the heater system.
Which engine do you have?
It sounds like a blown head gasket to me. You don't always get water in the oil because of a blown head gasket. It could also be a cracked head.
Has someone done a pressure test on the engine (cold and hot)?
Ed

Have a 6 cylinder. Seems that there is no pressure up by the heater core but is fine in radiator. Going to look into pressure test. Thank You.
C. E. White wrote:

goodgirlcj wrote:

If you are still getting antifreeze on the inside of the windows, you have a leak in the heater core or the hoses going to the heater core.
Jeff

Not necessarly, it will throw antifreeze vapor on the windshield for a while after the repair. I would look for the enormous leak with a pressure tester before anything else. KB
--
Thunder Snake #9
"Protect" your rights or "lose" them.
Kevin Bottorff wrote:

Going to see about getting a pressure test. I have been told that we are having a problem with pressure but on up to the heater core. Wierd thing is nothing seems to be blocked or plugged. Thanks for the advice, will try and see about pressure.
goodgirlcj via CarKB.com wrote:

The pressure test doesn't look at differences in pressure in different parts of the system. Rather, you put a different cap on the radiator. The radiator cap has a hose that is connected to an air pump (like a baskball pump) and a pressure gage. Normally, the pressure does not go down quickly. However, if there is a leak, the pressure will go down quickly. So the pressure test tells if there is a leak, but has nothing to do with differences in pressure in different parts of the cooling system.
You get the system pressure-checked, ask the tech what the pressure test is, and what it tests and doesn't test.
Jeff

Check the coolant recovery tank. When the engine warms up, the coolant expands & the excess will get pushed by a pressure relief valve & drain into the tank. When the engine is cut off & cools, the coolant will contract thus causing a vacuum & drawing coolant from the tank back into the radiator.
Why you are getting antifreeze on the windows when the heater core was replaced still puzzles me. Somehow maybe a hose is not totally secured to the core & is being drawn into the fan & blown toward the windows.
I am confused and frustrated. Going to try a pressure check maybe will find the problem. Overflow and radiator seem to be behaving fine. Not getting enough pressure by heater core.
Shawn wrote:

What year, what engine, did you replace all that stuff at the same time, and what was it doing that made you replace all that stuff?
i know what yomean,, theres more room out than in.... i did the radiator,waterpump,heater core and belts hoses,timing chain on my 84 grande marquis,really nice car...... the new water pump started leaking right out the weep hole. theres definatly more room out than in for some reason... lucas

If the "new" water pump is leaking out the weep hole then coolant is getting past the seal & the "rebuilt" water pump is defective & should be exchanged. In the '80s I worked at Western Auto & sold hundreds of water pumps & I have seen my fair share of defects. It is easy to shop test a starter or alternator at the customer's request but not water pumps. The only defective one I saw before it was purchased had a chipped impeller. I noticed it when examining the bolt hole pattern.