Duratec V6, synthetic or regular oil?

Hello, I have a new 2004 Ford Escape, with the Duratec V6 3.0L. Currently the vehicle has 1,000 miles on it, and I would like to change the oil & filter. According to the manual, Ford recommends to use 5W-20 (Motorcraft semi-synthetic for U.S. and Motorcraft regular for Canada). I have no idea why the difference between U.S. and Canada.

How long in miles does the break-in period typically last for this engine, and what kind of oil (type, weight, and brand) is recommended during the break-in period, and after the break-in period for this engine??? I have seen some posts for other engines, but nothing on this engine specifically yet.

Thank you for all input and feedback!!!

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Szilagyi

You said it: 5W-20 Semisynthetic.

I think the reason why has to do with EPA regs. Some of the tests are with

5W-20; therefore, the recommended oil has to be 5W-20. I would go with Mobil-1 5W-20. Great oil.

The break-in period lasts about 5000 mi (or whenever the manual says to change the oil). In other words, there is no special break-in period.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My wife bought the same car 8 months ago and I have a new Lincoln LS with the V6 (same block).

I used to be a fanatic about changing oil early but from discussions with many people I do not think it is needed any more. I waited until 3000 in the Escape and will do it at 3000 in the Lincoln. I don't think any car company recommends a change of oil before 5000 in a new car anymore.

My guess is that since they did the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) fuel economy tests in US with the synthetic oil, they are required to recommend it. Hence the difference. One of the main reasons 5W-20 was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. The change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Ford's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy.

I am using Mobile1 5W20 in both cars.

Larry

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

Just make sure to vary the engine speed/RPMs. Don't use cruise control and if you must drive on the highway do not remain at a constant speed until the 5,000 mile mark is up. This is true with any reciprocating engine. Unless if you had a car with the rare wankel/rotary engine which is no longer made of course.

I believe it tells you the same thing in the drivers handbook. I have that same exact engine in my '02 Taurus.

Reply to
Eastward Bound

Unless if you had a car with the rare

No longer made? Of course it is. Mazda, which to all intents and purposes is a subsiduary of Ford, make and sell them by the truckload.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Thank you to all for the valuable information. Is the oil you mention to use (Mobile 1 5W-20) synthetic or regular?? I have heard all great things about Mobile 1, but I wasn't sure if they have both synthetic and/or regular oil in 5W-20, so I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

I am also open for recommendations on brands and makes of oil filters to use, as well.

Thank you once again for all additional input and feedback,

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Szilagyi

What I meant to say is that you can no longer buy a brand new car off the dealers lot that utilized the wankel engine.

Reply to
Eastward Bound

Sure you can - the Mazda RX-8. It's pretty, too! (Can you tell I want one?) By the way, Ford has recommended all 4.6L and (I think) 3.8L engines switch to 5W20. My '95 Crown Vic with over 120k miles runs just fine on it. Some oil change places still suggest 5W30 for it since that was the original factory reccomendation.

Just my 2 cents. PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Mazda will be shocked to hear your news...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

What about the new Mazda RX8?

Reply to
Edjose17

Are Rotary engines such a good idea? That is the question. Turbine engines looked good on paper, sounded good in theory, but in the end no-go.

My V6 reciprocating engine with 200 HP has more horsepower and gets better gas mileage.

I guess my question really is, if the rotary engines have more potential then the reciprocating engines. Why don't we seem more of them?

Reply to
Eastward Bound

Did you even read the article? If it's accurate, the RX-8 gets 18 city/23 highway, weighs less, has better distribution and has a double humped power curve. It's also rated higher than your V6 at 210 horses.

One reason the rotary isn't used as much is because it's a low compression engine. To make up for the rotary is typically turbocharged. This also leads to poor efficiency. There isn't a huge demand for the rotary engine so not many are made and the cost to make them is more expensive if building a rotary engine isn't already more costly.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Mobile makes both regular and synthetic 5W20 oil. Mobile 1 is a specific type of Mobile oil that is synthetic.

Larry

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

Thank you for the info. Just one question, when you mention using Mobil 1 5W-20, are you talking about synthetic or regular oil?? I have heard all good things about Mobil 1, but haven't used it before so I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Thanks again,

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Szilagyi

Mobile 1 is synthetic. It is the synthetic line of Mobile oils.

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

There is no such thing as "regular" Mobil 1. All Mobil 1 is synthetic. Mobil's line of conventional oil is just called "Mobil" oil.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Mark

I think it is also being made for various airplanes.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Adding to what's previously posted: I'm of the opinion: Canada & U.S. have different emission standards, hence the differing SAE recommendations. Don't make any sense I know. I'm a supporter of the idea to use synthetic engine lubricants. When you combine these superior lubricants and related oil and air filters, you will experience extended protection, reduced fuel consumption all adding up to superior care for your car. RH

Reply to
Rudy Hiebert