Synthetic or Normal Oil

Hey all,

Well spring is right around the corner even though it's -27 degrees celcius..........;-)................

I have a 1985 Mustang GT with 219,000km on it................5spd...........pretty much stock except for an Edelbrock intake.

When I pull it out of the garage in the spring.....it's gonna need an oil change..........I was wondering if I should switch to synthetic or is it a waste of money??? My engine is tight and doesn't burn any oil but I like to take care of my baby best I can. Some say switch......others say stay with the normal stuff.............opinions???

Steph

Reply to
Steph

Steph opined in news:csr16v$7f0$ snipped-for-privacy@dns3.cae.ca:

Be advised that there's only one Synth that I would advise using, Mobil 1.

And that it will start to clean up the deposits from the inside of your engine. That means you should change the filter at least once between changes for the first two change cycles.

But unless you usually drive the car, once started, for more than 20 minutes at a time, you might as well use good regular oil meaning NOT anything with a reference to Pennsylvania.

Then change oil/filter every 3 months. Never mind the mileage

No Fram, No Penn

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

ahhhh, another good ole oil thread. expect some postings, saying different things. Here's mine; I would not do it. At that high mileage you might get leaks, it might work loose a bunch of gunk in your engine that could cause serious problems (clogged oil pickup for one) I think there's other ways to make sure the engine lasts a lot longer. Key is to change oil on a regular basis. 3K-5K miles interval. Plus use a good filter. Motorcraft filters are excellent. One other thing is to make sure the engine is fulyl warmed up before doing some spirited driving. 10 miles at least. (the engine temp gauge only shows he water temps. It takes longer before the oil is up to temp) Also, make sure the air intake is tight everywhere. And use a decent filter. K&N's let a lot of dirt in.

Rein

I agree with Rein. Putting synthetic oil in a high mileage engine is not advisable. It cleans things up so well that it could cause your engine's seals to leak. I also wouldn't put it in a freash engine, at least not until it's broken in because of it's excellent lubricating qualities interfere with normal break in. Unless, of course, the engine was designed for synthetic from the get go. Stick with a good quality standard motor oil and change on a regular basis.

Reply to
Mark C.

You made it to 219km without synthetic, why change now ?

Just keep on taking care of it, and change the oil regularly (3,000-5,000)

Motorcraft filters, and Valvoline oil and you'll be fine!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Thanks All!!! I appreciate the advice...........

Reply to
Steph

LOL not really.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

WindsorFox[SS] opined in news:mTgId.28111$sf5.3537@lakeread05:

????

Not really WHAT?

The first sentence; I specified was my opinion

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Backyard Mechanic wrote in news:Xns95E5C7BB1E7C8BkMch6d@207.115.63.158:

Just ask WF how often he changes his Amsoil... LOL!

Joe

Aww man, don't go start that pissing again :-p

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Hell, it's a lot more interesting than half the threads in there these days. Anyway, WF said he wouldn't respond anymore.

"Deputy Dog" wrote in news:8ciId.11251 $1l2.5862@trndny05:

using,

Reply to
Joe

Joe opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Ah... dammit, I forgot!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

And I don't blame him.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Mobil 1 does little if anymore cleaning than a conventional detergent oil.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yes, and? The fact remains that any of the better synthetics will clean what Mobil 1 and conventional oils leave behind. I know this from personal experience.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

WindsorFox[SS] opined in news:eAEId.28927$sf5.6348@lakeread05:

If you say so... I've run it for more than 350,000 starting in not-so-new engines... whatever!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Try 5 qts of Amsoil or Royal Purple for a few thosand miles and see if you get any crap coming out. If it's an engine that has always had Mobil 1 then you won't get anything since it cleans well enough and leaves far less residue, but if you have an engine that has used a lesser oil, Castrol Syntec for instance; Amsoil and RP will actually remove residue to the point you may have to replace a clogged filter in a couple of weeks. Mobil 1 will not clean like that. Been there.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

"WindsorFox[SS]" wrote in news:KEEId.28953 $sf5.24090@lakeread05:

WF, this is more of your pure crap. If you disagree, prove your claim.

Joe

I'm not trying to be contrary here, but I have used Mobile 1 for years and years. I have seen inside of a couple of my engines and they were clean as a whistle. Did I miss something?

Kate

| >> Joe opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net: | >>

| >> Ah... dammit, I forgot! | >>

| > Yes, and? The fact remains that any of the better synthetics will | > clean what Mobil 1 and conventional oils leave behind. I know this | > from personal experience. | | WF, this is more of your pure crap. If you disagree, prove your | claim. | | Joe | Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies | Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
SVTKate

Not to be contrary here but I have used conventional oil in my motors for years and years and the insides of my motors are clean as a whistle..... at least I think they are because I never have any motors fail due to oil related wear.

Feed me all the anecdotes you want.... nothing beats regular oil changes... period. Would it surprise anyone to know that even into the 70s, many engine builders insisted on bean oil? Yes, oil from the lowly castor bean (hmmm... I wonder where Castrol got it's name?) was the oil in many racing venues for many, many years. This added a distinctive odour to the exhaust of these cars..... surpassed only be the smell of porridge cooking on Grandmas wood stove...

I am continually surprised that someone in their 20s can have done much of anything for years and years other than see if hair will really grow on their palms....... If you really want to know what makes stuff last for a long time.... ask someone that has made stuff last for a really long time....

Reply to
Jim Warman