Electric Choke Control: 1984 F-150

We have a 1984 Ford F-150 pickup which we use to haul sheep, carry feed and hay, etc. We usually drive it less than 1,000 miles per year. It's got a 2-bbl carb on a 302 V-8, automatic trans.
It doesn't like to start in the cold weather. The choke cap isn't the standard cap I remember from the olden days, it's a green gizmo with wires going into it. You can't just loosen the clamp screws and turn it to adjust the choke, so I figure it's some sort of electronically controlled anti-pollution choke control. My guess is that the wires go to a temperature sensor somewhere in the block or manifold and that something along the line has given out, hence the hard starting in cold weather.
My first impulse is to get a manual choke conversion kit; they have them at the auto store for $10-$15. I would guess that replacing all the electronic caps and sensors would run five or ten times that much. I don't have to worry about the manual choke affecting the trade-in value, as we'll probably just run it until it dies then have it hauled off, like we did with the last truck.
Does anyone know of a quick fix for the electric choke, like spraying WD-40 or something else simple and cheap? If not, I'll probably go with the manual choke kit.
Thanks,
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

deposits... on my old datsun pickup that i kept for 18 yrs. the choke went out.. i went to the nissan place and they tried to give me an electronic choke for it as that is what the parts sheet said, but it was a manual one.. i then just took the old one back home and soaked it in carb. cleaner and it workd for another 5 yrs. until i sold the truck... you probably cant soak yours as it is probably plastic(unlike mine).. but you probably have metal internal parts that are catching..... give it a try and see what happens..... hope this helps.
It's a standard choke cap. It is powered by a wire off the alternator a white/blue wire if I remember. It's not electronically controlled. It can be adjusted to a point. The fasteners that hold it on that look like rivet heads are actually break away bolts. If you take a drivel or similar tool and cut slots in them they turn out. It's not an expensive part to replace. The first thing to do is to make sure that when the engine is running it is receiving 12 volts. The other thing to check out is the choke pull off. It's vacuum operated. The diaphragms tend to crack and leak over time.