Engine swap - 1997 Crown Vic (P71)

I have a '97 P71 CV which needs an engine swap. The guy who is going to swap it for me left town this morning and won't be back for over a week. I was all set to have a used engine delivered to his place
while he is gone, so he can start on it when he gets back.
Late today, the guy who is getting me the replacement engine informs me that the engine is a out of a non-P71 model, but the only thing different is an "internal oil cooler" present on the P71 model is not on this civilian model. He says I can take the oil cooler from the old engine and put it on the replacement. Is this right? If so, how much of a PITA is this going to be. And I presume he meant "external" cooler, not internal. It seems I remember an oil cooler mounted to the old engine last time I saw it.
Thanks!
it the same engine. and you really don't need the cooler if you don't want to swap it.