Erractic starter: 94 Aerostar

Hello,
The starter motor in my 94 Aerostar sometimes does not like to engage on the first attempts after the engine has warmed up.
It always engages in the morning. I sometimes have to give it 10 tries
after work before the starter engages. The starter in only 1 year old. Once the started engages the van fires right up.
When I turn the key over I always here a click when it won't start. I'm not sure if I'm hearing the solenoid or the relay.
The battery in only a few years old; but it is much smaller than the orignal.
I'm going to check the wire from the battery to the started for damage; and maybe try another relay
Any similar experinces? Any advise?
Thanks in advance Pat