Ford Motor Designations

Does anyone remember what "FE" means after a Ford motor size? I always attributed to a big block - 332/352/390/406/427.

-- Herb Stein The Herb Stein Group

snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

314 952-4601
Reply to
Herb Stein

Either "Ford Edsel" or "Ford Engine," depending upon who you ask.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

'FE' indicates an iron block.

mike hunt

Herb Ste>

Reply to
MikeHunt

There has been much debate as to the definition of the letters "FE". Most of the people I have spoken to associated with the Ford Motor Company and the documentation I have read indicate that the letters "FE" denote Ford Edsel. Apparently, the initial "FE" engine was designed for the Edsel and the letters remained for other cars. The FE's production started in 1958 with the 332 and the 352. FE engines include the 332, 352, 360, 361 Edsel, 390, 406, 410, 427 and 428.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1

351C @
Grover C. McCoury III

IIRC, in that era, there was also the "MEL" series used in the Mercury, Edsel, & Lincoln lines. I believe they were larger displacement engines than the FE's of the era.

Reply to
lugnut

Reply to
C. E. White

Aren't the 361 and 391 FE-based truck motors? Supposedly they displace 360 and

390; the extra cube advertised >> Does anyone remember what "FE" means after a Ford motor size? I always
Reply to
Marky

different water pumps, among

for "Fe Fi Fo Fum,"

I seem to recall seeing the 410 in Mercurys in the late 50's or early 60's. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be :-)

Herb Stein The Herb Stein Group

snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

314 952-4601
Reply to
Herb Stein

The 410 was used in 66-67 full size Mercurys only. It consists of a 390 block and 428 crank.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz