Ford Motor Designations

Does anyone remember what "FE" means after a Ford motor size? I always attributed to a big block - 332/352/390/406/427.
-- Herb Stein The Herb Stein Group
www.herbstein.com snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com 314 952-4601
Herb Stein wrote:

Either "Ford Edsel" or "Ford Engine," depending upon who you ask.
Gerard
--
Gerard's Automobile Book, Video, and DVD Store
http://www.bob2000.com/booksvids.html
Herb Stein wrote:

There has been much debate as to the definition of the letters "FE". Most of the people I have spoken to associated with the Ford Motor Company and the documentation I have read indicate that the letters "FE" denote Ford Edsel. Apparently, the initial "FE" engine was designed for the Edsel and the letters remained for other cars. The FE's production started in 1958 with the 332 and the 352. FE engines include the 332, 352, 360, 361 Edsel, 390, 406, 410, 427 and 428.
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 351C @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt
On 17 Oct 2003 06:52:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Grover C. McCoury III) wrote:
IIRC, in that era, there was also the "MEL" series used in the Mercury, Edsel, & Lincoln lines. I believe they were larger displacement engines than the FE's of the era.
http://www.fordclassics.com/enginespecs.html - not a perfect site (they don't include some truck engine particularly from the 385 series).
lugnut wrote:

Aren't the 361 and 391 FE-based truck motors? Supposedly they displace 360 and 390; the extra cube advertised only indicated a truck app. They use different water pumps, among other things, if I recall. On the smartass side, I believe FE is short for "Fe Fi Fo Fum," as in big, heavy giant. And is the 410 a Canadian Mercury truck motor? I've never run across one in the 'yards around here...
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:52:16 -0600, Grover C. McCoury III wrote:

314 952-4601

The 410 was used in 66-67 full size Mercurys only. It consists of a 390 block and 428 crank.